Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Live sand       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 677
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:21 pm:       

Does anyone have any experiance, GOOD or Bad that they can tell me about. I heard its very good for a sw tank.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:10 pm:       

It will definately accelerate the cycling process. I mean, I'm not sure how good the 'live sand' that comes bagged with water that they sell at the pet stores is, but even if you could just seed your tank with sand from an established, disease-free saltwater tank it would definately be a plus. Live rock is probably the best way to get the cycle going, but live sand is good too.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Megan

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 09:02 am:       

Well, I just found a guy in my town (shocking) that is willing to give me some of his sand from his tank. Plus, I really want to do the LR. Its just so much nicer looking.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

patm

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 03:33 pm:       

I agree, looks great, and is extremely beneficial

Mike
Username: qualityekim

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:08 pm:       

Live rock and sand is also a good way to infest your tank with parasites and disease. Be careful, make sure to cure it separately first. Another way to acheive the same affect is to buy dry rock, macroalgae and other marine plants, placing on the rock. The algae will form a root structure into the rock. A little more time consuming, but safer. Also, brine shrimp eggs, copepods are available, mixing these with the clean substrate simulates live sand. As far as beneficial bacteria, try stress zyme or bio spira with a month of black mollies.

patm

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:24 am:       

That would be a more 'sterile' way of making live rock, however, then you don't get many of the creatures that live rock is meant to bring into the tank. You would lose out on the variety of copepods and amphipods, spagetti worms, not to mention lots of beneficial bacteria and coraline algae. It would take a person years to be able to turn dry coral rock into the live rock teeming with life that you can buy at an LFS or mail order, not to mention you would in fact have to introduce some kind of outside live rock to get this life, as adding brine shrimp or pods simply won't do it.

-Pat

Megan

Post Number: 702
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:49 pm:       

Ive decided to go barebottom with my tank anyways.
its easier to syphon all the crap off it without sucking up your sand too!

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Live sand       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration