Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Salanity levels       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 686
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:27 pm:       

when I check for salanity (sp?) with a refractometer, does the water have to be warm?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:37 am:       

Megan,

This would depend if the model you have has automatic temperature compensation (ATC) or non-ATC. Now when you say "warm" do you mean the same temp as your tank water? Or, do you mean the temperature of new water you are mixing? Either way, the prism would need to be the same temp as the water sample. Allow about 30-45 seconds for it to adjust before relying on the reading.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Megan

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 09:10 am:       

I ended up just asking the owner of the refractometer, and he said that it (meter) adjusts itself with the water temp. I checked the water when it was 40*f and then this morning when it warmed up to 76*f the readings were the same.
I love that little gadget!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 04:31 pm:       

Hi,
What meter do you use?

Megan

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 07:50 pm:       

Im borrowing a friends Portable refractometer RHS 10atc, its awesome. Foster and smith has them on sale for 40bucks...im considering geting one myself.

Mike
Username: qualityekim

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:13 pm:       

Are you keepin a cold water tank.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Salanity levels       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration