Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * BareBottom SW Tanks       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 02:28 pm:       

Does anyone have a Barebottom tank or have had any experiance with them in the past. I want your opinions and tank sizes if you have.
I want my 29g SW to be BB with Live Rock.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:06 pm:       

Im not crazy about the bare bottom because it ends up looking really dirty. Although, if you have enough live rock, you probably won't be able to see it. I was at a LFS a few weeks ago and they had a beautiful reef tank, then I saw the bottom was bare and kinda dirty so it subtracted from that beauty. It just gets dirty very quickly.

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 03:28 pm:       

I've never personally used a bare bottom tank, but it just seems to me you lose a lot of beneficial qualities that come along with having a sandbed.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Megan

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 06:37 pm:       

I have read that with a sandbed, it actually collects all the poop and uneaten food, and makes your nitrates go up..with BB, you can syphon all the yucky dirt off the bottom of the tank when you do your weekly w/c. I probably won't be able to run a skimmer for a few months, so every little piece of bad stuff I can get out manually the better. But your right about it looking better...looks more natural.
Another benefit to haveing a bb tank is you don't have to spend extra $$$ for the sand.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 08:35 pm:       

You do save quite a bit of money. However, you lose all the buffering power it provides. A sand bed that is just enough to cover the bottom won't hurt your nitrates. You might consider just a thin layer of aragonite to help with the pH and keep it looking clean. Although, if you are good about your water changes, the BB shouldn't be a problem. You can also use a turkey baster to suck some stuff up in between.

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:49 pm:       

You can get 30 pound bags of aragonite sand for under 20 bucks. That won't be enough for a deep sandbed, but it should get you a good 1.5" or so. Plus, saltwater tanks are usually lightly stocked, and the waste buildup is minimal as long as you don't overfeed and make sure to do regular water changes. Not to mention a good clean up crew will do a number on sandbed waste.

Just my two cents,

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Megan

Post Number: 699
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:11 am:       

I shouldn't have to worry about the sand not creating a buffer, I plan on using seachem marine buffer to keep my ph steady.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * BareBottom SW Tanks       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration