Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Buying a used tank?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ron
Username: rockinrodent

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 08:21 am:       

We have a freshwater tank and love it. We would like to get a saltwater tank going. We've been keeping an eye on used tanks. Should we stay away from them? Any possible problems? I know very little about saltwater systems, what should we be looking to get?

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:53 pm:       

By all means, if you can find a good tank, pick it up. You just want to make sure to do some tests to make sure it doesn't have leaks, and take a look and make sure the sealant isn't all dried and cracked. With saltwater, I'd advise the bigger the better. I wouldn't start with anything smaller than 29 gallons or so. It makes everything easier for you in the longrun.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:25 pm:       

If you plan on keeping invertebrates, it's important to make sure copper based medications had not been used in it. At least, that is what most research has told me.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:02 am:       

Just about all of my tanks were bought used or gotten as freebies.Mostly check for scratches or cracks make sure the frame is intact.If your handy with a caulking gun you can buy a tube of aquarium safe silicone and strip and reseal a tank fairly easily
Waiting will fill

Ron
Username: rockinrodent

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 08:20 am:       

So, buying a used tank from ebay is probably not a good idea, since you can't inspect it....

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:26 pm:       

I never have, but I've heard good deals can be had on Ebay. If you do intend to buy a tank there, I would definitely contact the seller before hand and get some info as to whether there are cracks, how old the tank is, what was previously kept in it, etc.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 641
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:39 pm:       

I wouldnt pay till I saw the tank.
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Buying a used tank?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration