Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Filter option for a 55gallon Mini reef?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:55 am:       

Hi,
I am in the process of starting up a salt water tank. Now that I have started researching I have some question of a practical nature. In the book I'm reading, the author expresses the importance of O2 in the water as it is needed by the Fish Invertebrates and the filtering system. I had planned on using a canister filter with lot of bio media, but this filter will use lots of O2 without being able to add any to the water. Now what I am hoping for is a Mini-reef system with live corals, Invertebrates and only a few small Fish.

Now for the question:
Will I be able to get high enough O2 levels with surface movement and a protein skimmer?
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:07 pm:       

I believe that if you get a good skimmer it, along with water movement from powerheads, should provide enough oxygen exchange for your animals. This would hold unless you overstocked the tank, and/or used a weak, low quality skimmer.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:03 pm:       

Thanks patm - that is the answer I was hoping for. This will be my first attempt at a Mini-reef so I will be going slowly and carefully.

I'll keep you posted.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Filter option for a 55gallon Mini reef?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration