Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Changing marine tank to FW       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Donna Askew
Username: donbob180

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 03:16 am:       

Hi all
After a lot of soul searching we have decided to break down our 100gallon saltwater tank and move the Tanganikyan cichlids into that bigger tank.
How do i successfully clean the tank of salt,I am especially worried about the filter, I will be changing to new media but the plastic baskets (its a Rena XP3) are covered in white hard deposits, I dont think its salt.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9592

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 06:41 am:       

It's either salt, which will wipe away easily with warm water, or hard water deposits, which will take a little more rubbing...but not much more.

My nephew gave me his old biowheel filters from his two SW tanks when he upgraded, and they were quite easy to clean and hang on the back of my FW tanks....so easy to clean that I wondered why he left them like that all the time?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Donna Askew
Username: donbob180

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 03:35 pm:       

Brill, so if I give it a real good clean would you see any forseeable problems in changing the tank from SW to FW.

Cheers Cindy

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 189

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:29 am:       

Hi,
Once you have the deposits clean and a good rinse you should be good to go. In the worst case you might still get some small unmeasurable amounts of salt in the water but with regular water changes the tank will be ready for fish by the time it is cycled.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Changing marine tank to FW       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration