Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Megan's Reef Tank:week 6, just 4 Randy       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 734

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:38 pm:       

I will try to get some close ups, but my camera stinks so I can't promise anything.
I do have a coral banded...hes a meany, I think he killed one of my chromis but Im giving him a second chance.
I started with RO water.
Im going barebottom, Reason: well, started off because I couldn't afford Live sand and Live rock. so if I skipped the sand..more money went to the Live rock. Then I found a thread at RC about how nice it is to have a reef w/out the deep sand bed. and that while the LS gives you a little more filtration..in the long run with the LR it didn't matter.
So I started with about 25lbs cured live rock, and the week after added about 10lb more. I have a CPR bacpak skimmer no sump, just the skimmer, and 2 maxi jet 1200's given to me by a friend.
My lighting is low...for 2 reasons..1. lighting is expensive. 2. my electric bill is already sky high, and we couldn't afford using more than we need. Money is a big issue with reef keeping cause its not cheap as Im sure you know.
So, I was just going to go FOWLR, but I joined a local group here Maine, and they totaly got me into corals even if they are just low light ones.
I have a frag of green star poylps, yellow poylps, some mushrooms, and a finger leather.and some macro algea. all are doing very well. I haven't had to use any additives as of yet. I do 10% w/c weekly and that replaces anything the tank maybe lacking.
Oh...it took no time to cycle cause I started with good LR.
I have my tank sitting right beside my TV in the livingroom, so during commercials...I can watch the fish. The only livestock I have right now is the CBS and a yellowtailed damsel. BUT!! I am starting up a 10g nanotank and the yellowtail is going have it all to himself.
The future plans:
Add a few more corals..when I get the money.
add a few more fish.
I want a pair of false clowns
and a lawnmower blenny.
Maybe a firefish...not real sure..my mind changes everyday about it. Im a total addict!
I think that about covers it.
Yeah I have my magfloat in my tank,,didn't know that was a no no...I've seen others do it so I thought I could do it too. I will take it off.
I guess I just need to let the tank mature and the corals I have now get bigger.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 290

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:01 pm:       

Megan, Hi and thanks I just love reading about set ups.

Sound like you have plenty of help from club members.

I try to get my update posted tomorrow morning.

Oh and It's not just for me. Sharing things that you are excited about this hobby more enjoyable.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:43 pm:       

Yah its not for Randy its for ME!

Randy..after seeing that Discus tank the SW tank seems like more of a fairy tale then anything at this point. I am allowed one HUGE tank and thats it. I really want to do "Mondo Amazon Tank" and I either have to sacrafice the amazon tank ......build an addition on the house....or get divorced....neither seem likely at this point.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Megan

Post Number: 735

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:22 pm:       

My local group, SWAM, saltwater addicts of Maine. they are a great group of people. I got all my coral frags from them, I haven't had to pay anything for coral so far..
and your right..I post for everyone who is interested.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Megan

Post Number: 736

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:49 pm:       

New pics..quality is bad, so beware..hopefully you can see something.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/photo-gallery/displayimage.php?album=144&pos= 3

Megan

Post Number: 737

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:35 pm:       

yeah me...I got more rocks and a metal halide lighting system for 50bucks what a deal! new pictures soon as I have it all set up!

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Megan's Reef Tank:week 6, just 4 Randy       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration