Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Outdoor pond       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ken
Username: Ken

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:45 pm:       

Me and my dad were thinking about turning our old sandbox into a koi pond, or something along those lines.

I was wondering what we would have to do in the winter months? Would we need to keep them in tanks?

We live in Canada so it will get cold.

Also what size would you recommend to make this pond?

JLH
Ancient Member
Username: Gfg

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:55 pm:       

For Koi you would need a 2000 gallon or larger pond. they grow to 3 feet. I would look into goldfish. I think you need the pond to be over 4 feet deep or even more in canada for it not to freeze. Ponds are a lot of work. I would think you would need a large 55 to 200 gallon tank to holdfish for winter since even goldfish get over 12".

Ravenlock
Username: Ravenlock

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:52 pm:       

Ken, I live in Canada too. I was told by the koi keepers at Canada Wonderland(Ontario) that in order to keep them outdoors over winter the water needs to be 8 ft deep. That's why they move the koi from the river to the lake in the park. Most people are lied to by contractors because they know:
1. nothing about fish
2. that you are not going to spend the kind of money it takes to build a pond that deep.

However he also said that he keeps his goldfish in Rubbermaid bins to overwinter them in his basement.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Username: Ken

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:01 pm:       

My dad does not want to keep the fish indoors during the winter. I don't know if he wants to put the work into a very big pond. I guess it will be a dream untill I get my own house.

Thanks for the help JLH and Ravenlock!

April
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 04:28 pm:       

My mother-in-law just dug a small hole (about 5w'x3acrossx2 1/2'deep)put that lining down, some dirt,plants,and landscaped, after 2 weeks she went to the LFS and bought those 25cent goldfish. I live in canada...it freezes over and every spring there are babies, she has had this for 2 years, and in a house b4 that for another 2 years. She never takes them out, in fact the maintaince I know she does is top it off, turn the fountian pump on, and feed them....
I don't know if this is right, but it has worked for her!
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Outdoor pond       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration