Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Telescope Eye Goldfish, need advice       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kathi Sanderson
Username: Kathi

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 01:16 pm:       

I am the proud new owner of a telescope eye goldfish in a 10 g planted tank. I recently put a mini pleco in that tank for cleaning purposes. I'd like for the goldfish to grow to a nice size. However, I'm womdering how large it will get. I dont want to add anymore gf in there until I know this answer. Will the size of my tank prohibit it from getting to be a large size? And final question, should be get large, I have a 150 g outside goldfish pond in florida, could I relocate him there when he gets too big or will he die cuz hes fancy? Thanks, have not had luck researching these questions on line. K

Ravenlock
Username: Ravenlock

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 02:08 pm:       

If it's a black moor or the like it should get to 8-10". He will get too large for the 10g. Goldfish need 20g per fish. How many fish in the outdoor pond? Given 20g per fish is there enough room for him outside? Also, are there any comets or commons in the pond? If so they will out compete a slow mover like a telescope for food. Hope that helped.

P.s. I read that you have to move your clown loach. They get very large and if you get it a friend(they like company) then you won't have room for the goldie.

Kathi Sanderson
Username: Kathi

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 03:57 pm:       

The clown loach is in my tropical tank (I have 2 active 10g tanks set up in the house) ..sorry for the confusion. In regard to Cheeto (the clown)I'm thinking I cant get a friend for it, I'll just have to find it a new home, tsk tsk tsk. I didnt think clowns could tolerate a goldfish enviro but not sure. Also, I have 12 little feeder golds in the pond and 1 pleco for algea maintenance. What are commons or comets? Iam soooo cufused now - happens alot w me?!?!? :-(

cindy
Username: Cindy_m

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 09:48 pm:       

A 150 gallon pond isn't big enough for 12 feeders, either. If you don't thin the school, it will happen naturally. The fancies will get close to a foot, way too big for a ten gallon tank, and the commons (feeders) will get bigger than that.

I guess I should say that they should get to those sizes. They are likely to stunt and/or die in tanks or ponds that are too small or overcrowded...

adult red oranda:
adult oranda
(but not in a ten gallon tank!)

3 - 10's, a 15, a 20H brackish, a 20L river tank, a 29, 3 - 55's, a 75, and a 120 gallon native fish tank

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 04:01 am:       

Hi Kathy greetings from singapore!

Like RAVEN i agree that u have to be careful about putting your telescope into the pond. they tend to be slower.

Common and comets (e.g. the sarassa comet) are closer to what we call the "wildtype" goldfish. they are sleeker, much faster and agile. so when u put a telescope or a celestial into the pond with them, the poor fellow can only feed on what's left behind.

Also, the deco in the pond might scratch your telescope. so i would just keep him in a tank with another of his own kind/ fancy goldfish like a Ranchu ( buffalo/lionhead) or another telescope. ( of course then u would need a larger tank.)

On the point about fish sizes... u can get smaller sp. of orandas or ranchus.they do exist and they cost a lot less. :-)

Have fun and good luck!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Telescope Eye Goldfish, need advice       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration