Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Goldfish with Ick....       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Veronica Parsons
Username: Veronica

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:59 pm:       

Hello all, again...
I managed to get my fish home and get a 30 gallon tank and heater for them. They settled in well, unfortunately now, the GF that had the problems with fin rot and all before, must have gotten stressed out during the trip, and now has Ick..I have removed all salt from the aquarium (before he came home), am using the old filter, and am treating with Maracide. The temp is between 72 and 74. However, since treating with Maracide, the ick hasn't gotten any better- it's gotten worse!! At first he seemed unconcerned, but now he remains at the bottom of the tank and is very listless. The last day of treatment with the maracide is the day after tomorrow. I removed the carbon from the filter before treating, but left the sponge in- should I remove that too?? Is that why the medicine doesn't seem to be working? What should I do!! He really doesn't look good. Thanks alot, everyone.

Betsy
Username: Betsy

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 07:58 pm:       

What ingredients are in "Maracide"? The last time I treated ick, I used something that contained the ingredient malachite green, and it was highly effective. When treating ick, you also have to do daily gravel vac's, or the fish will just get reinfected over and over again. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I do know that you can only kill the critter causing the ick when it's in a certain stage of it's life cycle, and if you don't vacuum out the pustules that fall off the fish and end up in the gravel, more of the little critters come out of them and go after the fish. In tropical fish I know it helps to slowly raise the water temp to 80ish. This increases the speed of the ick life cycle, so the ick critters get to the stage at which they can be killed faster. I don't know if this can be done with goldfish, though. I'd wait for someone experienced with goldfish to post before attempting it. If you're not doing the gravel vac, try that while you wait for somebody with more experience with your type of fish.

Veronica Parsons

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 10:22 pm:       

Ok, thanks, I wasn't doing the gravel vaccuuming, but I will make sure I do from now on!! I'm not sure about the ingredients, but it's by Mardel, and it says it treats Ick, Velvet, and parasitic infections..

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 5344
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 04:43 pm:       

I've only had ich twice in the last 5 years, both times with tropical fish (not coldwater.) Both times I used Rid Ich+ and it was gone.

Maracide looks to be less expensive, so if it works for you, let me know...

Synergy: "the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects" (New Oxford Dictionary of English)

Veronica Parsons

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 02:37 pm:       

This is the first time since I've ever had fish (about 3 yrs) that I've ever had it, and I don't like it!! Poor guys:-(
I removed the sponge from the filter, did a partial water change, medicated the tank again, added some salt (I know you guys'll probably tear me a new one for that, but they've always been on it and never had any problems before, plus I was advised that it might help the ich. I will remove it when the ich clears) and vaccuumed the gravel. Today he's very active, swimming around, and the ich that was on his body is gone. However, his tail still has alot on it. I will medicate again tomorrow and keep you updated to tell you how he does. The other fish in the tank is completely healthy, but I've noticed something that perhaps you can all help me with! Ever since the big GF has had ich, the little guy chases him around, and almost looks like he's trying to eat the ich off of his fins. When it was on his body the little guy used to bite at his body. The big GF didn't mind when the little GF did this, but now that the ich is gone from his body, the little GF is biting at his tail. Now the big GF's tail is getting ripped, and it bothers him (obviously). Why is the little one doing this?? He doesn't bother the big GF when he's healthy, and aside from that, they get along well, they swim and sleep side by side. Is it possible that he's trying to eat the ich off of him??? Is that even possible?? Should I leave him in there until the big one gets better?? (I would have taken him out immediately when I noticed he was bothering him, but left him in for 2 reasons: 1- When I first noticed the ich on the big one, the little one was with him in the tank, so I thought I should treat them both at the same time to ensure the little one didn't get it too. And 2- the big GF gets incredibly lonely when he's by himself and just sits unhappily at the bottom of the tank.) Anyways, let me know what you all think, please!

Betsy

Post Number: 433
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:23 pm:       

Please put the sponge from your filter back in. This is where the "good" bacteria that keeps your tank cycled usually lives. By removing it, you have most probably killed it and will have to recycle your tank. Hopefully it's still wet, and some of the bacterium are still alive.

Veronica Parsons

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 07:57 pm:       

I kept the carbon packet wet for that purpose, (but left it out of the tank). The sponge seemed to be absorbing all the medicine, and as soon as I took it out some of the Ich cleared up.. I don't think it's a good idea to put it back in...

Betsy

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 08:09 pm:       

If you took your bacterium away from your ammonia source for any period of time, they are going to die. Keeping it wet won't make any difference unless you are adding a food source. It is my personal opinion that your ick cleared from the meds, not from removing your sponge filter. The fact that you took the sponge out around the same time seems to be purely coincidental to me. However, I am not looking at your tank. I am only reading your posts. What you are seeing and what you are conveying might not be the same thing.
It is also my opinion that you are about to experience another tank cycle. I know you've read the links on cycling before, so you pretty much know the whole deal already. Good luck and best wishes.

Veronica Parsons

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:47 pm:       

After the second day of treatment (supposed to treat for 3 days) the Ich was getting worse, not better.. I removed the sponge (which had turned blue from the medicine), vaccuumed the gravel thoroughly and added some salt (I know you all hate that, but it works for me!) The next day the Ich was MUCH better, and now it's completely gone-so you could be right, the removal of the sponge and my GF's recovery could be coincidental- I just thought that if the sponge was blue (same colour as the meds), it was not letting some of the medicine through. To be honest, right now I'm just happy that he's finally all better and swimming happily around in his new big tank! He can finally enjoy it now:-)
But yeah, Cindy, the Maracide (with the salt, gravel cleaning and sponge removal) worked really great! I would definitely recommend Maracide, Mardel labs seem to know what they are doing!
And by the way...how do you get a picture to come up under your name?? :-)

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 5431
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:56 pm:       

You put it in your profile, which you can edit at the link at the top of the board, between Topics and Help. It needs to be less than 100 X 100 pixels and in .jpg or .bmp format.

You may not know this, Veronica, but most ich meds break down and disappear in less than 6 hours anyway, even with the charcoal removed from the tank (which would do that job even more quickly.) I know the meds will stain silicone and some other materials, but don't think they are actually removing it to any degree. I found this one out the hard way...I had a resin log that I had repaired with clear aquarium silicone and after one treatment, the clear was bright BG...forever...

Synergy: "the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects" (New Oxford Dictionary of English)

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 04:38 am:       

Hallo, the increase in temperature does help with clearing the ick. in fact it's fantastic with clearing ick. clears in less than 3 days. some breeders report with good meds and up in temps, 24 hours!!!!

we use it very often in the farms if there is ick.
turn up the thermo to about 30 deg. celsius ( abt .86 deg fahrenheit)
here in singapore we have a normal unvaried openair temperature of 27-36 deg celcius ( abt. 80.6-96.8 deg. F) and we don't usually use a thermostat at all :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Goldfish with Ick....       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration