Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Dirty Water       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

KeLeah Rogers
Username: Redneckbeagler

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:45 pm:       

I have two fancy goldfish in a 5 gallon tank with out a filter/pump. my lfs said they would be fine in this. Well the water is always dirty and it bothers me so I'm thinking it must be hard on them living in a bowl of dirty water. Is there anything I can do for these guys besides changing their water everyday or every other day?

Garrett
Username: Happiegilmor49

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 08:19 pm:       

Gold fish are extremely messy fish and need preferably 15-20 gallons of water per fish with filtration for them to live happily and relatively healthily.
Is your water cloudy, does it have flecks of poo floating around, or is it green? I would definately change water everyday, and consider returning one of them or upgrading their tank.
Young people are in a condition like permanent intoxication, because youth is sweet and they are growing. Aristotle

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 07:52 pm:       

From what I have heard, one goldfish to 10 gallons.(not sure about if its true or not) Regardless of that, I think you need a bigger tank for your two fish. Also, you might want to get a filter if you want crystal clean water...

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 09:26 am:       

KeLeah you really need to have a good filter for your goldfish. May I suggest if you want to keep them but can't afford a large aquarium right now but are planning to upgrade later, you can temporarily house them in a rubbermaid plastic box. I use the clear rectangular ones that hold about 25 gallons or more depending on the # and size of fish and an Aqua Clear filter will fit on the side, just make sure you get the proper size filter for the amount of water. This setup should only cost you about $30.00 or so. The other option of coarse is to return the goldfish and get something that will not out grow the 5 gallon like a betta.

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 09:35 am:       

Just noticed this original post is from January so I expect the fish are gone.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 6666
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 03:50 pm:       

Replying to posts that are almost 3 months old is usually a waste of your time, especially since KeLeah hasn't logged in since Feb. according to the profile.

Doesn't hurt though. KeLeah may still be lurking, even if not logging in or posting.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 09:04 pm:       

I should have seen that...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Dirty Water       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration