Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Feeding Goldfish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jonathan Long
Username: Jonathanlong

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:31 pm:       

Hello. I have read that you're supposed to feed Goldfish a varity of foods along with flakes. Are pellets okay too? or are they the same as flakes? I have some pellets left over from my outside pond that I thought about feeding the inside Goldfish. I have fed them lettuce and they ate it. What else could I feed them? I usually feed them flakes in the morning and something different in the evening. Also, I have a can of Shrimp Pellets, could they eat that? Can ALL types of fish eat it? It doesn't say on the back what type of fish it's for, but I bought a can a few weeks ago....I also feed the Goldfish baby shrimp, but it says it's as a treat only...(or are the baby sun dried shrimp and the shrimp pellets the same?)
Thanks for any help,
Jonathan

Michelle
Username: Deadlyniteshade

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 05:13 pm:       

Hmm, I don't have any goldfish at the moment but I'm trying to remember what I used to feed mine. I used to feed mine dried shrimp and brine shrimp(I get them in the frozen cubes, ask at your LFS, my goldfish used to love them) One of my friends sometimes sticks a piece of cucumber onto a suction cup and feeds that as a treat as well. I don't know of any food that would be bad for a goldfish, they arn't exactly picky eaters in my experiance!
Hope that helps!

Lynliss Almasy
Username: Ravenlock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:13 am:       

I feed my ryukin zuchini(sp?) once a week, spirulina flakes, goldfish flakes, goldfish crisps, tubifex worms, blood worms, mysis shrimp, peas and occasionally brine shrimp. The problem with frozen foods is they mess up the water. I feed these on water change day. Don't forget to soak any dry foods for at least 30 seconds prior to feeding, to let the food expand OUTSIDE the goldies tummy. I don't think pellets would pose a problem if you soak them until they are soft all the way through and not terribly large. Goldies tend to "wolf" down anything. :-)
I soak my food for a full minute after losing a beautiful oranda to swim bladder problems. Hope this helps. :-)

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6185
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 06:33 am:       

I feed all those as well as anacharis and other stem plants, "Emerald Entree" and romaine lettuce and fresh spinach (their favorite green) and orange slices and aquatic insect larvae and chopped earthworms. They pretty much eat anything that fits in their mouths and my main job is to offer a variety so they'll get all their trace minerals...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Feeding Goldfish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration