Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * More oxygen? Chem and equipment question!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Veronica
Username: Veronica

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 01:20 pm:       

Hey all, I have a question about my tank. I have a fancy calico fantail GF and a betta (living there temporarily til he gets his own 10g) in a 30g tank. I want to get another fancy GF when I get home from school (less then 2 mos). Sometimes the GF will go to the surface for air- I've tested my water and nitrite is 0, nitrate is less than 10, and I use ammo lock II to condition my water (My test is Nessler based so it gives a false reading with the ammo lock), pH is 7.8, temp is about 74. Right now I have an Aquaclear 70 (formerly Aquaclear 300) on my tank, and I was wondering.. would these guys (soon to be just 2 GF) benefit from having an air pump or airstone in the tank for more oxygenated water?? If so, which is better? And any idea why my GF would be going to the surface as my readings are fine?? I've been told that the water here is very hard, and I can get a white build up on my tank and things if water dries on it (and I am not using salt). Could this affect anything? Would an air pump/air stone hurt my fish in any way?? I've never used one before, and I have no idea how they work!! Also, a betta in a 10 g wouldn't benefit greatly from more oxygenated water because they have the labyrinth structure, right? I know this is alot of questions, I appreciate any help I receive!
"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

Robert Fishers
Username: Fishguy1616

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 01:40 pm:       

Veronica, I have never heard of any fish getting heart from having more oxygen introduced into the tank. That would be like a person getting hurt by breathing fresh air. I don't know if you have ever heard of a bublewall but i personally like them. They give the fish plenty of oxygen but at the same time they can add to the beauty of your tank. If the fish continues to go to the top of the tank try to find other reasons why it might be doing so. Is there something reflecting on the water that is distracting him and luring him to the top. Is he hungry? As for more oxygen I would say go for it.

Patrick
Username: Patchy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 01:37 am:       

Try observing the GF without him/her seeing you, its not uncommon for goldfish to swim to the top when you approch thinking that food is on the way.

Mine act this way and it dosent bother me. On top of that my hardness is GH - 12 and KH - 7 which is relativly hard.

Finally on your last question i dont think the Betta will benifit much from oxygenating the water, i see plenty of Bettas in those small containers with nothing but the Betta and they seem to live, though the limited space probably isnt good for them.

Garrett
Username: Happiegilmor49

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 08:50 am:       

the bettas take their air from the surface of the water, so he's fine.
"I mean, and we be choler, we'll draw" translates to: I mean, if we become angry, we'll use swords,

That Shakespeare, always using those funny words!

jennifer
Username: Goldfish125girl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:37 am:       

Have you ever scraped for flukes? Many of the fish I have had acted this way and had flukes when scraped at the vet office. Prazi treatment is safe and efective for flukes with out effecting anything in the tank.

Veronica

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 06:06 pm:       

He's at the surface when he thinks I'm not watching- when I walk up to the tank he swims down and wiggles at me to try to get me to feed him:-)
He's not at the surface all the time, just some of the time, and it's more evident right after I feed him- does that mean anything?? He gets sinking goldfish pellets and flakes, both pre-soaked in tank water. How do you scrape for gill flukes?? Is it something the veterinarian has to do? And what's Prazi treatment? I have Maracyn II which can treat for gill disease and such, but I don't want to put an antibiotic into the tank until I know that there is a real problem (not just something wrong with the water or something else)
Is it possible that the water just isn't oxygenated well enough for him??
"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

jennifer

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:29 am:       

Flukes are a paracite that get into the gills of goldfish and can cause gasping at the surface or lazy behavior. Scraping is not for a beginer as you can do more damage than not. I always quarantine all new goldfish for a month and always treat all fish with praziquintal(sp). It is a very safe treatment for flukes and does not seem to have any effect on the fish. You can but it from goldfishconnection.com. I also feed their metro med and medigold. I have not had a sick fish in many years by doing this. Since the fish mainly does this after eating watch to be sure you are not over feeding and that you are not feeding foods that expand a tone after being exposed to water. I feed bioblend and progold, both are good sinking foods. Some fish gulp air after eatting and this may be the case.

Veronica

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 01:43 pm:       

I don't think he has gill flukes, because aside from sometimes going to the surface, he doesn't have any other symptoms. His gills are not swollen or red, he doesn't breathe rapidly, he isn't flashing or lethargic, etc. I don't feel right about treating him for something that I don't think he has- if he ever had a really bad infestation he might be immune to the medicine. As I stated before, his food (sinking pellets and flakes) are always pre- soaked in tank water before I pour them in,so they sink, so I don't think it's that. I stopped feeding him for a few days to see if I was overfeeding (a few weeks ago) and he was still at the top sometimes. It's just that he often does it after I feed him. He's always been an odd fish (I've had him for 2 years or so)! I'm going to get a bubbler to put in his tank and see if that will help. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed, Thanks!

jennifer

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:06 am:       

Not saying he does , but none of mine showed signs until the vet checked them out. The nice thing about prazi is it is not harsh and is safe to use as a preventative. So if you don't find and answere condider it. I even used it on week old fry just fine.

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6183
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 06:26 am:       

Could also be swim bladder problems. A 30 is not large enough to last until he is grown, and you already know my opinion about adding a second GF to the tank.

If it is SBD it will eventually progress to rollover and eventually death, but that progression can take up to a year, depending on dietary changes and water conditions, quicker if you let water quality drop.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Veronica

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 02:50 am:       

A 30g is all I can afford/fit anywhere right now- college dorms aren't built to be spacious, and I'll be living like this for another 5 years minimum. I know 30g isn't ideal, but I can't transport anything larger than a 30g 5 hours away twice every year- it would kill me. I read somewhere that fancies should only be kept with fancies, so can I put any other type of fish in there?? He is lonely without his little GF friend. So I am literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I gave him away I doubt he would be treated as well as I treat him- even though he is in a small tank. IMO even though it isn't ideal I feel he would be happier with me and a friend in his tank..
I am open to suggestions though, if anyone can help me.
I'm positive he doesn't have SBD. I think the issue was heavy metals in the water- my conditioner didn't neutralize them. The little GF looked like he went insane before he died- which, in humans at least, is indicative of heavy metal poisoning (i.e. lots of aluminum build- up can lead to Alzheimer's). Also, since he was smaller it would explain why he was so affected and the bigger GF wasn't as affected. It's my best guess right now, anyway.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * More oxygen? Chem and equipment question!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration