Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Goldfish colour loss...I think...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lynliss Almasy
Username: Ravenlock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:34 am:       

Hey guys.
20g ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, nitrAte 5(or less) ph 8.2 temp 72. 50% water changes every 5 days.
Whisper 20/40 filter and air pump.
Occupants: 1 Ryukin(3 inches including tail)

Quick question for ya. At Christmas one of my mentally challenged clients gave me a beautiful 3 inch calico ryukin in a bowl. Well... I quickly set up a 20g for it. Mio, will be upgraded to a 44g in June. :-)
Anyhoo, I just have a quick question about her colour. Being a calico she originally had a lot of black spots on her body. Lately I noticed she is not nearly as black as she was. I have done nothing different and am VERY religious about my water changes. So I was reading in a book that black moors need bright light to stay velvety black.
I have a "shade" on my light to subdue the lighting on my tanks. Could this be a reason for colour loss? She appears and acts normally and eats everything in sight. I don't believe she's sick, just pale. I know colour loss in fish like black skirts and red-tailed sharks is a sign of stress. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6184
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 06:30 am:       

color change (more than loss, but the change of black to more orange or white is still a change, since the fish isn't fading, right?) in GF is quite normal, especially at the size your fish is right now. Here is a link to a series of pics of the changes my black moor went through between 3 and 5 inches:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/9403/26372.html?109837 3714

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:28 pm:       

Good...I guess. It was prettier before, but hey, I was prettier when I was younger too. :-)
Yeah she appears to be fading, but obviously she's not. I didn't think colour change happened that quickly! Glad to hear it's normal. Thanks.
P.s. I think your "black" moor is still cute as a "goldie" :-)

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:10 pm:       

I was at Wal-mart today and saw a 44g corner aquarium with flourecent lighting and stand for $300 Canadian. I think that's a pretty fair price and is easier to fit in my room. So I may upgrade her sooner...:-)

Anyway, my question is: in a 44g corner could I have anything else in there with her? Is that large enough for her whole life?
Could I maybe add a snail or would Mio pick on it?
Just contemplating scenarios while I save up some cash...:-)

cindy

Post Number: 6210
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:23 pm:       

The gallons seem sufficient, but I am guessing that "corner tank" means tall more than long, and the footprint may not give enough length to swim about when she is close to a foot long.

Of course, ryukins don't seem as energetic or frantic about swimming back and forth as some of the slimmer bodied GF, so it might be just fine. How about posting the dimensions so when one of the members with larger ryukins pops in, they can give you a good answer?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 04:45 pm:       

When you write down the dimentions, it's actually not very big...and it's a pentagon shape.

22L by 22W by 24H.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll keep checking around...I saw a 56 corner aquarium, but it was signifigantly more money, like $500 just for the tank...yikes! Walmart also has a 55g for $300, but there is no way I could fit 48 inches. Unless I get 2, and transfer all critters from my 30, 20, and the 10 into 1 tank, them tear them down. However, that's getting into the $1000 range. Way more then I can afford! I'll see what you guys think first. Thanks Cindy.

jennifer
Username: Goldfish125girl

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:22 pm:       

It might be ok. I have an 8" really fat ryukin who Really doesn't swim that fast. It would be plenty of room for her to get exercise. She is not lazy just big and slow.

cindy

Post Number: 6236
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:43 pm:       

I don't agree. Even if it is slow, a tank only 22" long isn't even three times as long as the GF. That would be like keeping a 3 inch fish in a tank only 8 inches long.

I just can't recommend it.

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:52 pm:       

Yeah. Once I saw the dimentions I was put-off. They look big but...
I was looking at 46g bow front aquariums. Now they have a length of 36 inches. The same as a 30g. I could probably squeeze that in...but it would take me a lot longer to save up the money as they are expensive! If she is 3 inches now(including her tail) then how long do I have?
Or is that still not good enough? What would you recommend besides a 55g? I really can't fit a 55g unless I get rid of all my other fish(which is not an option. I've had them for 2 years) Thanks for all the help. Mio appreciates it. :-)

cindy

Post Number: 6240
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 07:03 am:       

My largest is only just now going on 6" SL, so I am not the one to ask. Mine is 3 years old, and would have gotten this large quicker if I fed it as often as it begs...lol.

I really shouldn't offer advice about permanent homes. I have my 3 in a 55, but will probably move them and the loaches that share their tank with to my 120 next fall. When I retire, I will have to rehome most of my fish and reptiles, because my home does not have room for all 13 aquatic and 4 reptile tanks.

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 03:59 pm:       

In that case...I guess I'll get the 46g and see what happens. It will take longer to get the money, but hopefully it will be worth it.
Ya see people... this is why you NEVER ever buy someone a pet unless they ask for it! Even then think carefully. Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll stick with my finches. 30" is good enough for them. :-)

Veronica
Username: Veronica

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 02:23 am:       

Hello, if you want a bigger tank and want to save money, I have a suggestion (I am a poor student with a fish hobby...)
If you go to fish stores, you can get just the tank (not the kit and all that junk) for pretty cheap. I recently bought a brand- new 30g for $40 Canadian at Roy's Pet Shop in Kingston, Ontario.. if you're anywhere near there. Just buying the aquarium itself is very cheap- it's all the other things you pay for, but if you've already got them, then why buy again? Even if you do have to buy all the components separately, I still think it's cheaper.. I'd look into it. If you're anywhere near Kingston I'd head to Roy's- they know their stuff and the prices are decent! Good luck!
"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 07:24 pm:       

Kingston is about 6-7 hrs away. :-) We have an aquarium warehouse here in Hamilton. They have pretty good prices. I saw a 65 gallon tall that includes lighting, glass canopy and pine stand for $400. It's not so much the price as the space. I'm working on it though...Thanks. :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Goldfish colour loss...I think...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration