Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * So what'da ya think...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Diane
Username: Snowball

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:42 am:       

Friend of a friend was over on the weekend. Not someone I know well. He tells me he'd set up a 20g goldfish tank a couple months ago and has had many problems. I know, I know, go figure. Here's my sort of dilemma. The guy's guite determined to make it work and every time a fish dies he consults one particular lfs who sells him a fish and gives him garbage advice. They've told him not to vac the substraete or he'll kill all the bacteria, they've had him add 2 bubble wands to increase oxygenation for his 6 goldfish! They've told him that number is quite appropriate. I tried gently to tell him he's fighting a losing battle and to do some research on the web. He doesn't own a computer or know how to turn one on; nor is he interested in learning, or reading books on it as he only wants a little tank so the lfs info suits him fine. How do you fight the lfs evil? I just don't know why they do this to people. So many people must just give up; how is that good for your business? Okay, I know this is about the millionth time we've seen this thread in some form but I had to vent. I truly feel bad for the guy, he's so proud of his tank. I thought about printing some stuff off for him but I think he'd be offended. Okay I'm done.

John D
Username: John_d

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:55 am:       

"I just don't know why they do this to people. So many people must just give up; how is that good for your business?"

Unfortunately, it's great for their business, as there will always be people who are totally content with not doing any research and constantly replacing fish that die because they're not properly kept.

Dawn
Username: Texasdawn

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:07 pm:       

I had a similar situation recently ... somebody came to visit, saw the tanks, said they just got a 10 gallon and asked for advice. So, I gave the rundown on the nitrogen cycle, and tank maintenance ... weekly or bi-weekly water changes, etc.

She said "That's CRAZY! At work, we have a 55 with 2 adult angels, 2 juvie angels and a catfish. Every couple of months, somebody fills up the tank's water level, and once a year we clean it. I only got a small tank at home so I would have LESS maintenance than work, not MORE! Your way is too much work." Walked out of my house shaking her head.

So, ok, my way is not the only way. ::shrugs::
Most folks who communicate on the "great ether" of the internet miss the whole point. It isn't that you can be anything you wish, it is that you can be your REAL SELF!

John D
Username: John_d

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:14 pm:       

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the fishies?!

Night Eyes
Username: Nighteyes

Post Number: 746
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:23 pm:       

yeah i have that problem at my place. my mother likes her method of toppin off the tank and cleaning it out every few months and has convinced my sister that that way is just fine and that she can still add more to her tank. thankfull i stopped her from adding more to the tank which is already close to overstocked, but if any waterchanges get done its cause i do them
Don't steal! The government hates competition.

Shari
Ancient Member
Username: Shari

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:26 pm:       

Diane, I know you want to help his poor fish, but sometimes we have to stop and just let them do it. I think your best option would be to talk to "YOUR" friend, the one you both know. Maybe they are a little closer to this person then you are?? You said it was "a friend of a friend", someone you don't know too well. Start there. If that doesn't work, at least you tried.

Either that, or slip a copy of Aquariums for Dummies onto his doorstep and be sure to mark the Goldfish info

Whatever you do, don't blame yourself for their hardheadedness.
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6202
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 08:17 pm:       

Not much you can do...if the fact that they keep dying doesn't give him half a clue, your advice will likely fall on deaf ears.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Diane
Username: Snowball

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 07:55 am:       

Thanks guys, in the end I know there's really nothing I can do. I just needed to get it out of my system. Had I told anyone else I know they'd look at me like I was from Mars. The troublesome part is that had I not stumbled across this site I'd probably be in the same boat. Thanks for listening.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * So what'da ya think...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration