Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * A friend?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Veronica
Username: Veronica

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:03 pm:       

Hey everyone,
I've heard that you should only keep fancy GF with fancy GF.. is this true?? My GF, Lumbergh, is in need of a friend and I don't have/can't get a bigger tank (He's in a 30g).. is there anything else I can put in there so he's not so lonely?? Thanks
p.s.
That's him in my pic- isn't he cute??:-)
"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

Garrett
Username: Happiegilmor49

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:31 pm:       

white clouds?
"I mean, and we be choler, we'll draw" translates to: I mean, if we become angry, we'll use swords,

That Shakespeare, always using those funny words!

Lynliss Almasy
Username: Ravenlock

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:30 pm:       

Is he a fantail? Or a Ryukin? Either way when he is full grown he'll need all that space and probably more. What size is he now? Goldfish grow roughly 3 inches a year. So in 3 yrs he'll be 9-10 inches. I'm looking at getting a 46g for my ryukin, possibly a 65g...
If you do get something, make sure it isn't long lived. Maybe a mystery snail? They're neat. I don't know if it would get picked on though since goldies chew everything...

Veronica

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:44 pm:       

He is a calico fantail. I'd say he's almost 3" now, not including tail.
I would LOVE to get a bigger tank for him, but it is impossible.
I'm a university student and I bring him with me. It's about a 6 hour drive, and transporting anything bigger than a 30 would kill me. I wouldn't be able to lift it or anything. I can't leave him at home, as my parents don't really know anything about fish. The only thing I can think of is getting a big tank for at home, and just have the 30 at school- but even then, he'd be spending about half a year in the smaller tank.
If anyone has any suggestions about what I could do, or someone to put in the tank to keep him company, I would really appreciate it.
"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

Lynliss Almasy
Username: Ravenlock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:00 pm:       

Wow. How does he handle the 6 hr drive? I have problems transporting across the room. :-)
I wouldn't put anything in there with him. I'd be afraid that the ammonia levels from a fantail in a 30g, as it matures, would proove too much for other fish, but if you really want something...

Ummm, like Garrett said, white cloud minnows are cute. However they need a minimum of a school of 6 to be happy. Rosy minnows are usually sold as feeder fish. You could probably pick some up cheap. A couple of mystery snails? A couple of African dwarf frogs? That's all I can think of. Try googling cool water fish. Hope that helps.

Veronica

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:25 pm:       

He takes it like a champ, he's quite the little trooper!:-)
I'm worried about the ammonia as well, but since his friend died he's been kinda lonely- I'd rather do very frequent water changes than see him mopey!
Do you think the big tank at home is a good idea, or no? Money is always an issue, but I'd rather have them be happy than be cheap.
White cloud minnows.. is it not likely that as my GF gets bigger he'll eat them?? I'd rather get a single tankmate (or a few small ones)- I think a school would be too much to transport, and I don't know if a snail would be stimulating company.. but I do appreciate the suggestions, keep 'em coming!:-)

Karen Curry
Username: The_fish_fan

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:38 pm:       

I wouldn't suggest a snail becuase I've heard a lot of people say GF's favorite treats are snails. If the small tank is the only option, I would say if the small tank was the only option the best thing to do is to get a smaller fish like the white clouds or guppies, and then sell them back to your petstore after the GF gets bigger. What's his name? He's really cute!

~Karen~

Veronica

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:49 pm:       

I'm going to go to a really good lfs near my home and ask what they think (they really know their stuff). I will probably get a few small ones to keep him company, like has been suggested here.
He is growing pretty quickly, though!! His name is Lumbergh, from the movie Office Space:-)
I think I might get a large tank to keep at home and have the 30 at school.. at least that way when I bring them home for Christmas (we have a little over a month off- I have an auto feeder, but I don't trust it for that long) I won't have to bring the whole tank home with me, and when I'm home in the summer he can have a nice place to live. Thanks everyone!

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 04:11 am:       

Hallo greetings from Singapore!!

You have a cute calico Ryukin fantail. I have a Ryukin as well but a red-gold/white. She's much larger though and is a short-tail. She spawned last year and lost her plump figure! :-)

have u checked to see if u can get small sp. goldfish? not a comet or a common but like a small ryukin/oranda/pearl scale. there are types that do not get much bigger. really, there are...

From the looks of Lumberg... he'll get to be about a handful... which is pretty large.
The 30 at school sounds like a good idea.

Lumberg seems like a brave little trooper... my 2 GFs fly with me when i travel for long times... so i can imagine your situation :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * A friend?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration