Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Keeping sunfish in aquarium       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Karen Curry
Username: The_fish_fan

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:15 pm:       

anyone kept wild sunfish? I've got a bunch of them at my creek. I want to catch a few if I can get advise on their care.

(Message edited by cindy on March 17, 2005)

~Karen~

Karen Curry

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:36 pm:       

I'm soooooooo sorry, I was thinking of sunfish. I've heard a lot about rainbows recently, and I had them on my mind. Please insert "sunfish" wherever you see "rainbow fish" and you will have the post I was trying to post. Again, I've very sorry for my mix-up.

~Karen~

Michael R. Monroe
Username: Mrmonroe

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 05:06 pm:       

Karen don't be sorry we all make mistakes from time to time. However you have used up your allotment for the week so no more or you'll be sent to your room
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

Jessica
Ancient Member
Username: Jessica

Post Number: 4362
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:31 pm:       

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6320
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:38 pm:       

In general, with natives, the larger the tank you begin with, the longer you can keep them. I would not keep sunfish in anything smaller than a 55, but some people keep one or two in a 30, but only temporarily.

Last August, I put 1 4 inch largemouth bass, 1 3 inch channel catfish, 2 2-3 inch green sunfish and 10 2-4 inch bluegill in my 120 gallon tank. I usually thin half the BG out before it gets cold, but forgot until it was too late this year, and I am really anxious to thin the overstocked tank ASAP this spring. The bass ate 2 of the BG this winter (the slowest growing ones) but the rest are between 5-7 inches now, and the bass and cat are 8-9 inches. This week I added a AC 500 to the tank to increase O2 levels, since my powerheads are both being used in my river tank.

The tank looked like this in August:
August 2004
4 inch largemouth bass
2 months later:
October 2004
another month:
November 2004

I haven't taken any pics since the new year since I'm embarrassed at how overstocked it is. I will thin the tank soon and post a more current pic in the coldwater forum then.

(Message edited by cindy on March 17, 2005)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Karen Curry

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 11:50 pm:       

Thanks for waiting to tell me where the post was going. I would have been looking for it. As a moderator, can you change the subject title from rainbow fish to sunfish?

~Karen~

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6327
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 06:55 am:       

No problem.

Odds are not too many will answer besides me, we don't seem to have many native fish fans around here. I think they are hardy fish with all the personality of their SA and African cichlid relatives!

Browse the other threads below, although most are for goldfish. There are a few for "pond fish" or native fish below, and some I posted pics of my fish last year in (I restart the tank every August and release the fish every May.) Reading those threads will save me the trouble of copying and pasting the same links to other webpages, forums and the moderated chat we had in March last year for native fish.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:47 pm:       

I have caught sunfish in my local sump and thaught they deserved a better home then dog crap and motor oil. My friend has had three living healthy in his tank since last summer.

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 08:04 pm:       

Wow, I have been checking out a bunch of the other forms on this site and I was surprised to hear that someone else kept sunfish in there tank :-)

Just wanted to say a few years back a had 2 2inch sunfish and a 3 inch small mouth bass is a 30 gal tank. I keep them all over the winter and let them go back in my lake come spring. The Bass never seamed too happy in the tank I think there was to much light where I had it setup. But the sunfish loved it.

:-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Keeping sunfish in aquarium       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration