Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Babies !! Have I got the proper feeding schedual?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Sylvia Brannen
Username: Orandagal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:11 am:       

I decided to take out a few leftover Oranda eggs on Friday afternoon that the Orandas and catfish missed eating, apparently a spawn took place earlier in the wee hours between my black male and red/white female. I put the eggs in a clear plastic tub with about 4 inches of water and I now have babies who will be ready to eat on their own tomorrow. I thought I would put in a little cooked crushed egg yoke as well as leave the plastic plant in (what the eggs were on) that has some algae on it for now and when they are larger in about 2 weeks feed them live brine shrimp and maybe some mashed goldfish flakes and Pro Gold. What else should I feed them in the early stages of growth?
Thanks,
Orandagal

Sylvia

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 03:38 pm:       

Schedule not schedual - I'm so excited I can't spell. Picture is of Spooky my adorable red/white Telescope Eye.

jennifer
Username: Goldfish125girl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:10 am:       

Frozen brine shripm eggs called napoli? I think thats the spelling or close. Those are great early food.

Sylvia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:25 am:       

Thanks Jennifer, I have looked a bit on the web and there seems to be many ideas on what to feed and when to feed, all different of coarse just to keep me really confused. Since this is my first attempt at raising goldfish fry I thought some of the more experienced goldfish keepers on this site might share their ideas but you are the only one so far, Thanks.

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6434
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:07 pm:       

I've never raised GF fry, so I haven't spoken up.

In general, with other fry, Hikari First Bites and live or frozen BBS go down well, and live plants to provide snacks (infusoria) in between meals.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Sylvia

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 05:14 pm:       

You should give it a try Cindy they are so tiny and cute, they look like an eyelash with eyes. Most of the eggs left were not fertilized or maybe just duds and turned white but I have at least a dozen little ones maybe more and am keeping my fingers crossed that I'm doing things right. I sure hope most survive my poor first time parenting skills.

Karen Curry
Username: The_fish_fan

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 01:03 pm:       

eyelash w/ eyes or eyes w/ eyelash? I havn't raised or kept GF before, so I can't answer any of your questions. GOOD LUCK! I hope they all make it. It sounds like your going to be a great mommy.

~Karen~

cindy

Post Number: 6452
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 08:33 am:       

I assume Sylvia meant eyelash w/eyes, like this zebra danio fry:

zebra danio fry

I'm not averse to the idea, Sylvia, they spawned once...(I think)...the female swam quickly around scattering eggs, and the rest followed and ate all the eggs as fast as she could drop them. I didn't really see anybody trying to fertilize them, either...just fresh caviar.

Even if they had been successful, I wouldn't know what to do with the fry. I know I am not at all happy with my half black moor half gold fantail fish, and since none of my three GF are the same variety, I am better off if they continue to be "just friends".

(Message edited by cindy on March 27, 2005)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Sylvia

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 11:12 am:       

Great picture Cindy thats what they look like. I took a few pictures the other day so if I can figure out how to put one or two on here I'll do it later today after I download from the camera and resize. My little family has survived their first week and I have started to hatch some brine shrimp for them since chocolate eggs from the Easter Bunny are out of the question :o) Some say don't feed brine shrimp until the end of week 2 others say feed from the beginning so I split the difference. I don't see how the fry could catch shrimp anyway until they are a week old and starting to swim around more.

Sylvia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:35 pm:       

Not the best, I'm still learning how to reduce picture size and still have a clear shot without all the distortion.
fry

Sylvia

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:44 pm:       

Here are the proud parents
mapa

cindy

Post Number: 6459
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 09:13 pm:       

Great pics, Sylvia!

Wow, they are tiny...even duckweed dwarfs them! I guess you'll end up with calico orandas?

Sylvia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 10:34 am:       

I am hopeful that I'll end up with at least one really nice Calico out of the dozen fry. They seem to be holding up well so far and are swimming around checking things out and searching for food. I expect the next 2 months are critical in making sure the fry get all the right nourishment for health and good growth.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Babies !! Have I got the proper feeding schedual?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration