Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * New Fish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

jennifer
Username: Goldfish125girl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 11:33 am:       

I bought a new pom pom and a new moor the other night and now I am quickly remebering why I hate little fish. They are both the small normal fish store size, and I am about to go batty. First I had to remove the gravel because they were just about getting it stuck in their mouths, then I had to cover the filter intake as it was just a bit too strong. Dually my 13" oranda is in a quarantine tank behind them since he some how cut himself. He could eat the two of them in one bite.He actually wathes them through the glass. So it is going to be a few months before they can move into another tank. They are going to be in quarantine for a month anyway so I guess they will have to stay in their bare bottom tank for now.

cindym
Username: cindym

Post Number: 6511
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 09:56 am:       

If your oranda is 13", then you already know you can achieve an excellent growth rate in that month of quarantine with pristine water and a high quality diet. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to get them bigger than diameter or the oranda's mouth.

BTW - is 13" SL or did you include the tail? I don't believe I've ever seen one, even a pic, of an oranda bigger than 10-11" SL. Is it in the 125 tank shot you've already shared? Can you share a pic of it alone sometime? I could use a member's pic to share when people talk about keeping group of them in a ten gallon tank. Everybody around here is pretty much tired of seeing this one:

adult oranda

I borrowed that from the net, and would prefer to use a pic of a fish from a member, if you don't mind sharing...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

jennifer
Username: goldfish125girl

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 11:44 am:       

13" is with his tail. He is still just a bulky big fish. I will try to get a pic like that, but I can't hold him with out help he is way too strong, and I would be afraid to drop him. I will see what I can do as I need to pic him up to move him back to the main tank soon, he is being quarantined for a little cut he managed to get some how, (my guess chasing the girls). If I am not mistaken he is from the same place as bruce the fish in the pic.
Jen and the 19 goldfish: 4 orandas, 3 pearlscales, 2 moors, 1 dragon eye, 3 fantails, 1 ranchu, 4 ryukins, and 1 pom pom. 2 bristle nose, 1 betta, 1 apple snail. Tanks: 125, 55, 55, 33, 20, and 10 gallons.

cindym
Username: cindym

Post Number: 6515
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 11:50 am:       

Holdling him for the pic is not necessary, unless you are moving him anyway. An in-tank pic is fine, especially if you can include something in the pic that will give an idea of scale...a 100W heater or AC200 or maybe it would be even more effective to take a quick pic of him (momentarily) in your ten gallon tank! (That should make the point...)

So did you get yours on-line? I thought Bruce lives in China?

I haven't seen current pics of Bruce, now that he is supposedly 15" long, just the same pics from before. He was quoted at 12" in that pic, but unless that girl has the hands of a lumber jack, he doesn't look 12" to me. Either that or they are not using SL either, as they should...

(Message edited by cindym on April 04, 2005)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

jennifer
Username: goldfish125girl

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 11:24 pm:       

I got mine from a guy that bought him from goldfishconnection.com. I had heard he was from the chan brothers from tung hoi aquarium, who are a big breeding operation. I am not sure if it is true, but I know they are known for large high end goldfish.
Jen and the 19 goldfish: 4 orandas, 3 pearlscales, 2 moors, 1 dragon eye, 3 fantails, 1 ranchu, 4 ryukins, and 1 pom pom. 2 bristle nose, 1 betta, 1 apple snail. Tanks: 125, 55, 55, 33, 20, and 10 gallons.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * New Fish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration