Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Help with my goldfish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Rachel
Username: luvmykids

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 11:56 pm:       

I have a goldfish in a 5 gallon tank. My daughter won him at a fair-a basic little comet (I believe).

We thought we were doing the right thing by going to the fish store and buying a small filtered tank. Then I went home, set it up, looked online for info and discovered my tank was too small. Unfortuanatley I couldn't afford to upgrade at the time.

I recently received a 20 gallon from a friend, but I wanted tropical fish so that is what I have in it. Now, I need to also move my goldfish into a bigger tank.

I thought I read that it was about 1 goldfish to 10 gallons of water but I've also been told that isn't good enough.

Anyone have some links to reliable info on goldfish. It seems the things I have read aren't jiving with things I'm told.

I'm not good a judging sizes but I know he has grown quite a bit since September. I would say he is about 4 inches, including the tail.

Thanks.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 6611
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 07:03 am:       

Here's one of my favorites:

http://members.aol.com/sirchin/goldfish.htm

...there are several others that are quite good. Happy reading, and please come back with any questions you have.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Rachel

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 07:42 pm:       

Thank you Cindy. I have looked at the site and will look some more. I realize that a 20 would be best for my little guy, but with finances right now, I bought a 10 gallon. Of course, I'd rather put him in a bigger tank that would be permanent but I figure he is better in a 10 for awhile until I can upgrade. (I was able to get one for only $30 and I have a place to keep him safely-strong enogh) without having to get a stand.)

Anyway, my friend who gave me the 20 gallon tank that I have says he has a 55 long he would be glad to give me too. But right now, I don't have enough money to properly stock it (gravel, plants, filter, heater, hood, etc).

Some days I wish I never found this site. Then I wouldn't feel so guilty for everything I've been putting my fish through. ;)

Thank you so much for your help.

Rachel

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 07:45 pm:       

By the way, I have been very good at weekly water changes of about 30-40%. Maybe that's why he's done ok for so long in such a small tank.

Karen Curry
Username: the_fish_fan

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:40 pm:       

Yes, with the proper care fish can survive a quite while in a small tank. That dosn't make it right, but it sounds like you're trying your best to give him a good home under the cercimstances. Maybe you could take the 55g, and just use the old decorations for now. You dob't need gravel if you're willing to do frequent water changes. All you need's a filter. That suggestion is based on the assumption that the tank comes with a hood. Good luck with the goldie, I hope you have fun with him.
~Karen~

Rachel

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 01:25 am:       

You know, I never thought of putting the goldfish in the 55g tank. I will have to think about that. (Hmm, the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Then I could separate my fish in the 20 gallon properly-not coldwater fish.)

My issues would be finding a place to put it (I wouldn't have a stand) and talking my hubby into it (which wouldn't be too hard.) HMMM.

Dawn
Username: texasdawn

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:47 am:       

Rachel, this is WAAAAAAAAAY a long shot, but where do you live? Anywhere near Central Texas?
My fish are not spoiled. They're Pampered!

Rachel

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 08:48 pm:       

Sorry, Dawn. I'm in Washington state but thanks for trying. :-)

Karen Curry
Username: the_fish_fan

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 09:22 pm:       

Funny how different people think -- I never considered putting the tropicals in the 55. Glad I could put some "bigger tank" ideas into your head. Let us know what you decide with goldy. Good luck!
~Karen~

Rachel

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 12:32 am:       

Karen,

Just wanted to say thank you for your help. I posted an update on the beginning freshwater forum about my tank situation.

My goldfish is going to end up in the 20 (because I believe my angel is going to need the 55 a little more). I believe from what I have read that 20 is ok for one goldfish--I won't get him a friend. I would like to put something else in the tank though. Any suggestions that would be ok? snails, frogs, a different fish that is ok? I won't put in anything if that would be detrimental to the goldfish.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Help with my goldfish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration