Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Guess what the kid brought home from school today       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Diane
Username: snowball

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 05:17 pm:       

Yup. A goldfish. They had a carnival of some sort at school to raise money for the grade eight field trip and goldfish were some of the prizes for games. Let's skip the how-inappropriate-this-is part of the story and go straight to the what-the-heck-am-I-gonna-do-with-this-thing part. First the poor little thing had been in a margarine container on my daughter's desk for who knows how long at school. I have a spare 10g I filled with water hooked up a filter and put the thing in. I figured on waiting a couple days and switching out the filter cartridge for an established one from another tank. Goldfish are something I know nothing about; anyone give me jumpstart while I google about. Do they eat plants? Is no susbtrate okay? 10g is gonna have to do until it warms up enough to put him in the pond, but will it do until then? Can he even go in the pond? Please help.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 6645
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 07:14 pm:       

It's probably a common, maybe even a feeder, and the pond will be great. You'll be fine in a bare bottom 10 until then, just check the nitrogenous wastes to make sure you really did avoid cycling with the cartridge, and if to make sure you change enough water to keep the nitrates down.

Here's a good start: http://members.aol.com/sirchin/goldfish.htm

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Diane

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:11 am:       

Thanks Cindy, I managed to find some time to do some reading yesterday and determined it's likely a feeder goldfish. I actually came accross that site. It seems quite happy today although I was a little concerned for my daughter yesterday as it's gills were red and I wasn't sure it would make the night(the fish's gills, not my daughter's gills).
I know yesterday I said I didn't want to get into the inappropriateness of giving out goldfish for prizes but I feel I definately need to speak to the school as my daughter was telling me stories of some of the children killing their fish; one boy even impaled his with a pencil. My daughter had offered to take the fish from a few of the kids as she found this behaviour upsetting.

Diane

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 03:20 pm:       

Forgot to ask, anyone have any recommendations at a particularly good food for them. Right now I'm feeding it some goldfish flakes that came with the 5g. I can't beleive I actually kept them around. Sometimes being a pack rat comes in handy.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 6665
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 03:42 pm:       

You may want to replace them, if they are more than a few months old. Fish foods lose their nutritional value if you haven't vacuum packed and frozen them.

You can't go wrong with Hikari. They are easier to find than the brands that are even better. I give mine a variety of GF flakes and sinking pellets, frozen and fresh or live foods. The only thing I don't feed my GF is floating pellets. They are pretty much indiscriminate feeders, just because they are willing to eat what you give them does not mean it is good for them.

I would personally have to say something to the school also, and be specific about the abusive behaviors your daughter witnessed, not just how it is inappropriate and neglectful in general.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Diane

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 12:20 pm:       

Thanks Cindy for the tip on food-guess it makes sense, I use Hakari for other fish.
As for the school, I spoke to the principal yesterday. She was quite in agreement after I had recounted some of the stories my daughter told me. I also mentioned that it was upsetting to her as a child who has respect for all things willing. Believe it or not she said she didn't know that goldfish were to prizes. It was something the teachers had organized on their own. Anyway, she was disturbed that the teachers had considered that appropriate.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Guess what the kid brought home from school today       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration