Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Fry Update       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:19 am:       

Well it has been about one month and out of the 12 eggs that hatched I have 11 fry that seem to be healthy and doing fine. I'm not sure what happened to one that died at 2 1/2 weeks old, maybe it was natural causes or, the unthinkable, I commited fryslaughter when doing a water change. They all have black and white coloring right now no red/gold and seem to be growing at different rates I have one that is very small and one that is very large with the rest in the middle growing at their own pace as it seems. This has been quite an experience so far, I hope I'm doing everything right.

Sylvia

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:07 am:       

Well I learned a lot with my first attempt at raising fry. Out of the 12 eggs that hatched I ended up with 1 good fish which is what I had hoped for since the experts say that only 5 out of every 1000 fry are an excellent quality fish. Of coarse my little fellow has a lot more growing to do but at this time he looks perfect except for the color which I'm still not quite sure about, it could be black like Dad or may still change to Red/White like Mom or maybe I will end up with a nice Calico to finish off my Oranda family. Out of the 12 fry, 6 died of natural causes or were culled, 3 died from my stupidity, I thought they were to big to go up the filter, WRONG! I gave one away and I have 2 left. I will try this again next year and hope to have better success with a few more eggs and a lot more confidence.

Karen Curry
Username: the_fish_fan

Post Number: 539
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 03:04 pm:       

If the mom is spooky then I hope they take after mom. She's so cute!!!! I'm sure dad's handsome too though, and either way you'll have a pretty boy/girl. Congrats on being able to get a few to survive!

Good luck on your next spawn!
"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees." - Dr Seuss

I speak for the mollies, "give us marine salt." -me and the mollies

Sylvia

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:21 pm:       

Thanks Karen, Spooky is not the Mom though, she is a telescope eye and my fry were Orandas. I do have one other telescope but am not sure if it's a boy yet, I think it is but will have to wait and see.

Karen Curry
Username: the_fish_fan

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:26 pm:       

oops, sorry! I didn't think about "'oranda' fry"!
"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees." - Dr Seuss

I speak for the mollies, "give us marine salt." -me and the mollies
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Fry Update       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration