Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * What can I put with my lone goldfish?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Rachel
Username: luvmykids

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:55 am:       

My goldfish will be moving to a 20 gallon tank soon. (Finally, he was in a 5, now in a 10). Per this wonderful board (which makes it harder to keep fish since you are all teaching me the best way to keep them) I will not get him a goldfish friend since that wouldn't be best in a 20 gallon. But I would love to get something to put in the tank with him. The tank will look so empty with one lonely fish in it IMO.

I've been googling but so far haven't been able to find accurate information. I'll keep googling but in the mean time, does anyone have links or suggestions for what could safely be put in this tank?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 6850
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:20 am:       

...about 35 more gallons of water...

He will continue to grow. Unless you really can afford the expense of small upgrades, I would jump to a 55 gallon tank so he can have a GF friend or two. You will have to get it eventually anyway, so skip the 20 and the 30...you'll save a lot of your money in the long run...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Rachel

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 03:56 pm:       

Thanks Cindy but here's my issue.

I've been doing more research since I got a 20 gallon tank and some freshwater fish. Most of the research from this board after I discovered it. The goldfish sites I've visited say 10-20 gallons per fish. So based on that and the information I received concerning the other fish I have, I decided the goldfish would be ok in the 20. He seems fine without a fish friend, so if I can・t put anything else in it, then I won・t. I was thinking even if a fish can・t go in it, maybe another coldwater aquatic animal would be ok, however, I don・t really know if there is anything else that could go in.

I currently have the following:

20 gallon with and angel, molly and platy (one of each)
10 gallon with the goldfish
5 gallon empty

A friend is giving me a 50 (or 55, I can・t remember). I was going to put the angel and platy in that, the molly in the ten and the goldfish in the 20. Someone recommended the goldfish in the 50, but my understanding is the angel really needs at least a 30. If money wasn・t an object, I would just go buy another 50; but of course money is an issue.

Although I will be getting the tank from my friend, I will have to purchase a filter, hood and stand (plus a few decorations and more gravel but those can come later since I have enough to get it started). I can not leave any tanks on the floor with a 3 and 5 year old around, so a stand is a must.

So, there is my dilemma. I am not entirely opposed to keeping the angel in the 20 and putting the goldfish in the 55 but I would really like to add more tropical fish and I know that I couldn・t without moving the angel to a bigger tank. I thought 20 would be ok for one goldfish. Ideally, tanks would not be made smaller than a 50, then I wouldn・t have this issue.

This board has been so helpful but at the same time, frustrating because I want to do things the right way, but with my start, I can・t financially do everything the right way. How long would one goldfish be ok in a 20? Next year, I could probably talk hubby into a bigger tank for the goldfish, after tax time.

I・m rambling now, but I just wanted to explain the whole situation. Thank you so much!

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6873
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:56 pm:       

The philosophy many of us have here is to base tank choice (and stocking) on the adult size of the fish, not it's juvenile (current) size, to avoid expensive upgrades...we buy the last tank first.

The "other websites" don't really believe you can keep even one lone adult GF, about a foot long, in a "10-20 gallon tank"...they expect you to buy larger tanks later, if the fish doesn't stunt and die in the meantime, a very real possibility. A ten gallon tank is only 20" long, a 20H only 24" long, a 20L only 30" long, and none are more than 12" from front to back, an adult GF could not even turn around in one. Do you see how it would not be possible to keep a single GF in a tank that small for 20+ years?

You say money is an issue, I say that it costs more to buy a 5 gallon set-up followed by a 10 gallon set-up followed by a 20 gallon set-up followed by a 55 gallon set-up followed by a 75+ gallon set-up (or a pond) than to start with a 55 and skip as many of those steps as possible.

I'm not criticizing, and you don't need to adopt this philosophy, it's just a suggestion. But if money is an issue, it will save you a bundle of money in the long run...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Rachel

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:35 am:       

Thanks Cindy. I guess that makes sense. So what tank size could one (or two) goldfish stay in for life? A 55 is okay for 2?

Since I alread have a 10 and 20, the expense isn't there right now. I do wish I had come across this sight when I first researched goldfish. Then I think I would have done things a little different. But of course, since I wasn't researching tropicals at the time, I didn't.

Will my goldfish be ok for 1 year in a 20. I honestly am not sure what I'm going to do now. I have about another month before I will be getting the 55 and be able to set it up so I'll keep thinking and researching. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6878
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 02:05 am:       

Probably not for life, a 55 gallon tank is only 12 inches from front to back, a tight turn for an adult.

I'm not a rabid PETA person, I love having pets and have made my share of mistakes. I just try to help others avoid the mistakes I've already made...I had 4 GF in a 10 gallon 5 years ago, and lost one every few months. I upgraded to a 20, and lost one a year. I upgraded to a 55 last May, lost one to a accident with a substitute teacher, not the water quality, replaced it, and rehomed two of the others as they outgrew the 55.

I am down to 2 in the 55 now, and am moving them to a 120 in one month. I have 13 aquariums in my classroom and at home, so upgrading isn't a problem, but it would be expensive for people that only want one or two tanks in their homes. Under those, more normal conditions, and considering the fact that the 55 is frequently the best bargain (in terms of dollars per gallon) it makes sense to try to start there, if you want GF or an oscar or any fish that will grow to a foot long. It would be even better to start with a 125, but hey, most of us have parents or spouses to appease and have to compromise. (Easier to draw them in gradually...)

Pics of my GF: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/9403/9569.html?1075621748

(That 55 was $50 used for everything you see plus the stand at home under my planted 55 tetra tank.)

Rachel

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 02:00 pm:       

Thanks again Cindy.

No way my hubby will go with a tank bigger than 55 right now. LOL

I'll just take it a day at a time and see what I can do. I'll have to do some research on buying used. I'm certainly not opposed to that at all.

This goldfish was won at the fair in Sept. I had been considering fish for awhile but wasn't even planning the goldfish route. Of course, now I've kind of grown attached to him.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6891
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:48 pm:       

That's how it gets started...

Good luck!

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 03:53 am:       

hallo... if u are still considering a "friend" for your GF, get another GF... they do best together. but try to get one of the same "speed".... e.g. don't mix comets with ranchus ( buffalo heads/lionheads)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * What can I put with my lone goldfish?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration