Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Rock Bass       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Gabi
Username: gabi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:15 pm:       

I recently read an article in a back issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, where they discussed keeping Rockbass-
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/frockbass.html

I saw this picture and one in the magazine and fell in love.

As soon as I can convince my mom to let me put up the 50-gallon we have in storage, I'm planning to try to get one of these little... Well, maybe not exactly little, guys. Just wanted to know if there was any other hobbyists who have kept them, other than the writer of the article. It'd be good to have someone to turn to for beginning advice and if problems come up...

Ken Tweddle
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:25 pm:       

when dealing with critters from temperate zones its important to keep in mind that they have evolved strategies like dormancy and hibernation. These abilities are, from my exp, ingrained in their physiology and failure to provide them with simulated climate changes will lead to their death.
Ya I know; I'm a Landscaper not an English Teacher.

Gabi

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:34 pm:       

*nodnod* I'll keep that in mind. That and frequent water changes- Granted, clean water is generally essential for all fish, but fresh water is even more so for flowing river dwellers. Right?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7212
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 09:47 am:       

Gabi, your profile doesn't say where you live...just USA. The rock bass have a wide range, at least according to the range lists, but you may have a hard time acquiring them. They are listed as common in the Ozark streams in my state (Missouri - http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/fish/ponds/intro/index.shtml#Bleeding%20Shin er ) but I've never seen one. I know a few e-friends that have kept them, but they got them locally in the northeast, or from Jonah's, who only has them sporadically.

You will need a larger tank than a 50, the smallest tank anyone I know keeps them in is a 120, but I would personally go with the 125 as a minimum size for most native fish, it gives them more length for swimming. YOu might get away with a couple green sunfish in the 50, they stay smaller than the other sunfish (a rock bass is really a sunfish) and also have a bass-like appearance.

You'll want several high powered powerheads too, especially in the summer, when it is hard to keep room temperature water cool enough to be highly oxygenated, so set up something like a large "river tank" with a good current going.

Most native fish need to be chilled 3-4 months in the winter if you want them to spawn, but they will live quite well with year round room temps, especially if you keep your house on the cool side in the 60's.

(Since these fish are native fish, I will move this thread to the Coldwater forum as soon as you've seen and replied to this.)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Gabi

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:50 am:       

I live in Northeast Ohio, up by Lake Erie, and I've cought rock bass before. At least, I'm nearly positive it was a rock bass. I knew they were sunfish, and I wasn't planning on breeding any, it looks like it'd be enough work for just one...

And sorry about posting in the wrong place. I wasn't really sure. >.<

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7215
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:35 pm:       

If it had an orange eye, it probably was a rock bass. And like most other fish, it would benefit from interaction with other a few other fish, even if they are different species, rather than being kept alone.

I wasn't correcting you about where you posted, just letting you know so you wouldn't think it had disappeared. Most threads are appropriate in more than one forum, but this one may get more attention in the cold water forum.

We don't have a lot of native keepers here, and even the forums that are for natives exclusively get little traffic. I know a couple guys keep rock bass as AH's forum for native fish: http://forums.aquariumhobbyist.com/forum.php?page=1&catid=31

(Scroll down until you find some of Critter4FR's posts about his.)

Good luck!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Rock Bass       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration