Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Couple of questions       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:34 pm:       

I have got a new 55g. I plan on cycling with danios and bio spira.
I am eventually going to get a big oranda.
I don't know much about them.
I read, that they like a ph of 7.2 or a little higher. What do you (anyone) keep your ph at?
What are the temperments of goldfish..or oranda's?
What kinds of live plants can I keep with goldfish that they won't destroy? I have anachris to put in the tank with it, and I know they like to eat it, but will they let it grow or just eat it right away?
any info would be greatful.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7241
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 07:43 am:       

Mine ate the leaves off the anacharis plants, but not the stems. My RES ate the stems, but not the leaves. So all new bunches of anacharis went into the GF 55 for a few days before moving them to the RES tank to be finished off.

I would suggest some nice plastic plants for permanent display, and live ones for food. Anubias might be safe, but they may uproot them with their foraging, and you will want to vacuum GF tanks vigorously, so it is easier if you stick to plastic plants and other decorations that can be removed for vacuuming.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Megan

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 12:08 pm:       

thanks cindy, I quess I am going to go with plastic plants. I found some that look alike like the real things....what about the ph, should I worry about it? does a 55g take longer to cycle than say a 30g?

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 09:37 am:       

My PH is 7.5 and I believe anything between 7 and 8 is OK 7.4 being the ideal PH. Your larger tank should cycle the same as a 30g. I know you will love your Oranda, I have 8 at this time and am going to add a nice Calico some day unless my baby Oranda turns into one.

Megan

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:25 pm:       

Thanks sylvia, My tap water has a high ph, something like 9 or so. I usually let big buckets full of water set overnight to bring the ph down a little.
If I wanted could I put 2 orandas in my 55, or would that be way to overstocked?

Sylvia

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:07 pm:       

Bigger would be better of coarse but Yes if your tank is a long one not short and tall, 2 Orandas only no more should do fine in your 55 for quite some time as long as you have a good filter and keep up the water changes. Lots of clean fresh water is the key to happy healthy goldfish, however, if your fish are healthy and grow really large they will probably need a bigger tank down the road so they can have more room to swim around. A fish should have a tank at least 20 times its length which is impossible for most of us so I try to go for 10.

Megan

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 09:40 pm:       

my tank is long. but the filter isn't the greatest...it was a walmart special. Maybe I will upgrade so I can have 2 fish instead of 1. I don't mind doing water changes...I enjoy this hobby verymuch

Sylvia

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 09:37 am:       

Megan the Walmart filters are no good for goldfish, or at least the ones they sell here are horrible. I have found that the Aqua Clear filters are great and so much easier to clean, I also use 2 sponges instead of 1 in mine. Good luck with your new tank.

Megan

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:36 am:       

the filter that came with the tank is a aqua-tech 40-60 with duel filter pads and a huge intake tube, with extension tube to make it longer. I know there not the best, but was hoping they would do until I get more money.
which brings me to another question, how long should the intake tube be. I can have mine up closer to the top of the water or add the extentsion and make it almost touch the gravel, where should it be for best results?

Sylvia

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:02 pm:       

The intake tube is supposed to be close to the bottom for best results. Whatever filter or filters you add to the tank should cycle the water about 10 times an hour or close to that if possible. I only had a 304 fluval on my 50g and had to add another filter to keep the water crystal clear.

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:11 pm:       

Megan,
be sure to check out stores online like www.drsfostersmith.com even with shipping filters and other supplies are much cheaper than in the pet stores;)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Couple of questions       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration