Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * OK Evangeline I have to ask............       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 09:15 am:       

You mention a small variety of Orandas that are available. I know that the Celestial eye goldfish stay small but I have never heard about small Orandas. Where can you purchase them and how large do they grow?

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 02:00 am:       

actually i don't think celestials stay small. with this i mean they can grow to be about 8-9inches ( including fins and all) i don't think that's small.

if u want small orandas ( they usually go at about 2-5 buck a fish) u have to ask the store people how big they grow to. I usually get my fish from fish farms or stores that only do aquatics - they know more there.

if they are the small kinds they'll be max 6-7 inches ( yes! that's small :-) )

with the big ones i think u already know they can easily grow to 9-11 inches ( with tail fins and all )

u can also get small comets, have u thought of that?
i hope that helps....

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 02:05 am:       

hi again... i just realised how silly i was when i said that the small orandas are "small" when celestials can be 8-9 inces! sorry sylvia!

i just walked to the farm area where we have our orandas and what i really want to say is, there are orandas who can stay at about 5-6 inches long. they might grow at the most an inch or so longer. that's about it though.
u have to make sure u ask the breeder carefully first.

are u thinking of celestials?

if u do... i don't know if u know but try not to keep celests in too high water and not with faster GFs. they tend to stay closer to the bottom and eat from close to bottom - due to their anatomy. so really celests are ozeki ( topview) fish... not sideviews.

anyway sorry about the first post...
i'm always open to discussions.. and criticisms. :-) so do write!

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:45 am:       

As I had stated earlier I had never heard of a small Oranda and wondered if you ment there was a dwarf species available. There are no breeders here just the usual pet/department stores with ill informed staff who send people home with a bowl and a pond fish or some such thing. A 7 inch oranda is still a good sized fish with their large bodies but, when I get my own Orandas set up in their new tank I may try getting 2 Celestial eye set up in a spare tank as I understand that they do grow to be anywhere from 5-8 inches long but are a slimmer bodied goldfish. I will have to stop adding to my goldfish family after that as I have no more room unfortunately at this time.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * OK Evangeline I have to ask............       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration