Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Koi "gestation" period       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Betsy
Username: betsy

Post Number: 982
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 01:39 am:       

How long do koi hold eggs until they release? My friend redid his koi pond a few months ago, moved all the fish over, and now has 1 pregnant koi and 1 pregnant goldfish, as well as an explosion in the minnow population. I've found how long it takes the eggs to mature into fry once they're released, and I've found the methodology used by the fish to release (poor momma koi!), but I can't seem to find how long they hold the eggs for. She's been this way for two weeks, and I'm just wanting make sure she's not egg-bound- I believe that's the correct term. He's not attempting to breed the fish, and isn't going to move her to another environment to lay the eggs. This was just the result of fish happier with their new environment, I think.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7385
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:44 am:       

Can't really predict, because oocyte maturation depends a lot on water parameters (especially temp) and diet.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Betsy
Username: betsy

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 12:00 am:       

Ah. That would be why I couldn't find any information on it, then. Thanks, Cindy! I'll pass it along.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Koi "gestation" period       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration