Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * slp91's new GF tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

slp91
Username: slp91

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:34 am:       

Hello...here's my confusion...have a newly set up 29Gal-high...bio filter..air curtain..3 fancies in since 4th of July[7-12-5]all came from a 5 gal....I know..way too small... all looks great.water is crystal clear...fish are happy & very active....eating well....but here's my confusion...bought a Freshwater Master Test Kit....Ammonia=8.0...PH=7.6...High PH= 8.0..No nitrite or Nitrate...& I understand the reason why....but from all I've heard & read the water should be a cloudy white & the fish very "distressed"....why am I not seeing this in my tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Evangeline
Username: tonkaholics

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:30 am:       

slp91

3 GFs in a 29 gall is a little small. even if they are relatively small( below 5 inches each), which i hope they are still in your case.

the water doesn't always have to be cloudy white for the fish to be stressed. in fact if your water is good, it should be crystal clear even when u turn on the light.

your ammonia is a tad bit high. check it again. sometimes the kit can have problems. u might want to use a colour test kit. much easier that way.

u are probably not seeing this in your tank because ammonia build up takes a little time to kick into effect. and u will see the firsh develop all kinds of things like ick, slumping in one corner, ammonia burns are the worst. but that's the extreme

so change your water and if u can enlarge your tank!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7407
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:32 am:       

If you had moved the filter from the 5 gallon to sit on the new 29 alongside the new filter for a couple weeks, your fish would not have to undergo the stress of ammonia now and nitrites later. GF are fairly hardy fish, even fancies, especially if yours already survived the 5. The first symptoms you see may the black marks called "ammonia burns" that appear when they are healing, after the ammonia begins to fall and the nitrites to rise.

Please begin daily partial water changes until you get the ammonia down to under 1 ppm, and then keep doing them often enough to keep both ammonia and nitrites under 1 ppm.

Just because your fish aren't floating belly up doesn't mean it is OK to make them breath toxic water...

Please start your own threads, too, instead of tacking your Q's onto another thread - especially one that has been dead for 4 months. Reading these "Tips for beginners new to the board" may help you in the future:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/2936/3288.html?1043086 745

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * slp91's new GF tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration