Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Is there a difference?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:20 pm:       

I was wondering what the difference between a Lion head and a Oranda?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7568
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:30 pm:       

Amongst others, lionheads (like ranchus) don't have dorsal fins. Orandas do.

Lots of websites about GF varieties:

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/variet.htm

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Megan

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:40 pm:       

Cindy, I love you.. You reply so fast..I love that. I hate waiting but you always come through. Thanks a bunch

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7570
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:46 pm:       

It's nice to be appreciated...thanks!

I would have posted the answer faster but I accidentally looked at a site I liked better first, and forgot that I shouldn't have clicked on it unless I open a new browser or am pretty much done at Badman's...I am never able to use the "Back" key to get out of it, and had to start over to post the reply. It is worth a look when you are done here, but be warned:

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/goldfish.htm

Never mind my warnings, now it is opening in a new window, sometimes it doesn't...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Megan

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:50 pm:       

Hey here a quick question I didn't see a answer to at the link you gave me.
Is it normal for my new oranda to rest on the bottom of tank? Or should they be swimming all the time. I notice they don't seem to really hover like tetras or angels do, I am assumming it has to do with there size?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7571
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:54 pm:       

Depends on the fish.

Mine sleeps on the bottom at night, and prefers a cave or something to get into or under while sleeping, but not much during the day. An eternal eating machine, constantly working the gravel.

Typically, but not always, when round bodied GF begins to spend a lot of time on the bottom, rollover and other problems eventually follow. I hope that is not the case this time...

Megan

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:01 pm:       

Humm..I was thinking mine was just tired from the travel home, being in a new tank. Plus, he was in gross water with nitrate off the charts. He ate for me, and like you said is usually searching the gravel, but I caught him, what looked like resting and as soon as I came to the tank, he started swimming around again. I hope its nothing searious. fingers crossed. Also my lfs had him labeled as a Large goldfish, and priced at $8.99. He is clearly a oranda, why didn't they label him and his freinds what they really are, couldn't they have asked allot more $$$ for them as orandas? what do you think is the typical price? I am just wondering because I was hoping I got a good deal.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7572
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:42 pm:       

Around here you can get the smalls, less than 2", for $2-3. The mediums, maybe 2-3", for about $8-9. and the larger ones, maybe 3-4" for more like $12-20. They jump up rather quickly in price, and get a whole lot larger, but I haven't seen any adults for sale at the LFS. Online, but not locally.

Sounds like a good price and I'll bet he'll be fine when he acclimates.

Pics?

Megan

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:01 pm:       

Im not sure if my guy or girl is an adult. He is big and round, biggest fish I have ever purchased, I am guessing from your discription he is about medium size. I decided to do a partial waterchange after my last post. The tank water was pretty warm, so I thought maybe some cooler (not much cooler) clean water would help. He's seems to be doing ok. He is having to adjust to a higher ph and lower nitrates, I did aclimate him before I put him in the new tank, but I didn't do it for as long as I think I should have. I think I did it for about 30mins, Removed some old bag water and added some tank water slowly. but like I said he is looking better, and I wanted to name him "Orlando the Oranda" but my 3 year old couldn't say that, so we went with "spot" because he has a white spot on his right side. My husbands going to flip when he gets home from his business trip,but I am sure he will love him or her. I wish I could post some pictures, but my digital was stolen over memorial day weekend, so I no longer can do it...that really bums me out, but new fish makes up for it.

Megan

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:37 pm:       

call me crazy, but could my new oranda be missing his tank mate from the lfs?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7579
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:56 pm:       

If he is alone now, it is certainly possible. I have tried to wait as long as possible to ask, so now I will, how big is the tank you have him in and what other tank mates does he have?

Megan

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:10 am:       

He is by himself in a 20g high. I plan on upgrading him to a 30g, but that won't be for a few months. I put a small square mirror on the outside of the tank so he could see himself, he seems to like it, he kind of dances in front of it. I beleive I am going through a mini cycle thou, my ammo has been at .25 since last night, I did the water change, then about 30mins later I tested. I added an established filter to the it to help ease the toxins, the filter is small, I think its for a 10g, but i figure every little bit helps. The other filter I have HOB is the one I got with the tank its a Cascade 100. Pumps 100 gph. when my husband gets home on Fri, we are going to get something a little more heavy duty.
Oh yeah, I will add that Nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ammo .25 Ph7 temp 78, >is that to high?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7592
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:49 pm:       

No. In general, GF are cold water fish that thrive in hard, alkaline water. The more round bodied ones seem to appreciate (and by that I mean have fewer digestive problems, constipation, impactions, and ultimately roll over problems) when kept warmer than the commons and comets. I kept mine at 74-75, but I'm sure 78 is not a problem for them.

Megan

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:04 pm:       

Cindy,
You didn't say anything about the size tank he is in. Is a 20g ok for now? ALso see, (if you haven't already) my post in the fish health sectionhttp://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/17/44673.html?11225757 67
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Is there a difference?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration