Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Is this normal?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 09:09 am:       

My oranda is always swimming in the bubble wall.
Is he playing or is there someother reason he likes the bubbles?

This is the same Oranda that had flukes. Hes been treated twice. He is now in a 29g, color is excellent, appetite is great (pig) and seems to be active.
ammo0
trites 0
trates 5 I don't let them get above 10
ph 7
temp 78

what do ya think...anyone?

Sylvia
Username: orandagal

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:09 am:       

Some love the bubbles others seem to ignore them all together. Flukes can be very hard to get rid of so I would suggest doing a few extra water changes (goldfish thrive in fresh water) in the next couple of weeks and adding some salt would probably help a great deal too. No more chemicals/medications of any kind just a one percent solution of salt. If you think after a few weeks that the flukes are still there then keep up with water changes and increase the salt solution to 3 percent for one month that should kill all the flukes with no harm to your Oranda unlike medicated solutions that few fancy goldfish tolerate well. Hope this helps you.

Megan

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 02:21 pm:       

Thanks. I will add some salt. I do w/c every 3 days, so his water should always be presine.
I was unaware flukes were hard to get rid of, I think that is why he is swimming in the bubbles I think it itches his belly and sides for him.
Thanks for the advise.

Megan

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 06:45 pm:       

I think spot is getting worst. He is still swimming in the bubbles, but is now acting like he did when I first got him. Less active, and sits on the bottom of the tank alot.I think the flukes are again sucking the life out of him. I am not 100% sure he has flukes, but I have been reading at Koivet.com about body flukes and what the fish acts like when they have it, it sounds awful like it to me. I want to treat with meds again, but don't want to hurt him or make him sicker. I have done a water change and added some salt, but it doesn't appear to be helping..I need some advise...what would you do in my situation?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7818
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:21 am:       

OK, even though I am not a Fish Health person, I'll tell you my uneducated opinion.

I personally wouldn't be treating a fish (with meds) for a disease or parasite you aren't even sure it has, and I was trying to avoid posting that. IMO - many, if not most, "mysterious" (nonpathogenic) GF problems are either water quality issues or congenital problems. You have upgraded it from the 20 to a 29, and your parameters sound fine, but there are a lot of things that can be wrong with water that aren't tested for by a Master Test Kit, including heavy metals. They do make tests for them, but they are not included in our Master Kits.

I won't buy GF from anyone anymore except a breeder or club, the $2 ones at PETsMART, Petco and WalMart have too many problems for fish that should live 20+ years. I'll take that a step further: I may not be keeping any "fancy" GF in the future...I am not convinced that a lot of the problems that are nearly universal, or at least posted about constantly here, don't come from the inbreeding necessary to produce fish with severely curved spines, long butterfly tails, bags of fluid around their eyes or fleshy growths blocking their nostrils, or without dorsal fins....

I hope yours is OK and it turns out your worries are unfounded, or that dan or russ or Sully can give you a simple cure in the Fish Health forum. I hope it isn't one of those fish that will take a year or more to fade away. I just can't tell from here.

I know that wasn't any help, but at least know that I understand your worry and frustration and confusion. I rehomed my GF last May because I am personally not up to them anymore. A large pond or tank with LOTS of freshwater seems to be the best answer for most of them, and I can't provide that at this time.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Sylvia

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:53 pm:       

Just read your Aug.21 post. I would keep up the water changes every 3 days and remember you must replace the salt you take out with the water change and keep it at 3%. Fancy goldfish especially Orandas are being interbred so much that many have problems that will lead to an early death anyway, the only responsible pet shop owner in town will not even order them in going on 2 years now. NO MORE CHEMICALS/MEDS for Spot just the salt, if Spot is just laying on the bottom of the tank the Meds. will not help him they will stress him out more and he will probably die, if he is still swimming some and eating stick with the salt

Megan

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 04:03 pm:       

well, Looks like spot is going to need some fungus meds. He has a cottony ball shape growing on the side of his head, He is very lethargic today, swimming real slow and sitting on the bottom alot. I tested my water
ammo 0 trates between 5 and 10 but definatly not about 10.
I am going to do a w/c and treat with fungus clear, unless you think salt will take care of it.??????????????????????????????????

that will teach me to relax and stop being so paranoid!
" Women and Cats do what they want when they want, Men and Dogs should just get used to it!"

Sylvia

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 11:44 pm:       

I still say no more meds. salt only. Are you sure it's fungus? White can appear on the head when there is new growth.

Megan

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 08:54 am:       

Well, You will be glad to hear, that I haven't treated spot with meds. Over the past 3 days I have gone from 0.1% salt to 0.3%. I have been talking with some of the people at Koivet message boards and they seem to think that what I am seeing is a bacteria called Flex or the more scientific name is COLUMNARIS. Has anyone had any experiance with this?
I am going to look for some anti bacterial medicated food over the weekend. Unless someone suggests otherwise. I am not sure what the salt will do, can someone enlighten me?
"Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Sylvia

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:19 pm:       

I would just stick with the salt to kill all flukes in the next month and fresh clean water is a must along with a proper diet. You said before the white was just on the head so don't worry about it, are the gills pale in color or are his fins covered in the same white, are strings of the slime coat falling off, if not just forget the meds. If however Spot unfortunately has internal problems, genetic or otherwise, there is little you can do for him, give the salt a chance, it has worked the best for me in the past.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Is this normal?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration