Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Swollen/Bloated Goldfish?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Aquagyrl
Username: aquagyrl

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:40 am:       

i just cleaned out a case of green water in my goldfish tank. Now my goldfish seems to look swollen/bloated I know is not the size he was before and looks very uncomfortable. what can i do? I notice i haven't seen any poop. Hmmm should i put some peas in the water or cucumbers?

Dawn
Username: texasdawn

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 08:50 am:       

My goldfish has problems along these lines from time to time. I use a frozen pea. Take the shell off and smoosh the pea bit so he doesn't swallow it whole. Cucumber might work too, but I don't know cuz my picky-eater goldfish won't eat them.

Then, don't feed him again until day after tomorrow, when you give him another pea. The next day, try a small portion of his regular food, IF he is looking more normal. If not, skip a day, and then give another pea or other green veggie.

I have to give my goldfish peas or spinach or some kind of green that he will eat pretty much every day to avoid the constipation problems. I feed other foods in the morning, then the green veggies at night.
"We did what we knew -- when we knew better, we did better."
Maya Angelou

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7853
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 03:52 pm:       

The first time I fed baby spinach to my GF they devoured large quantities of it and it was still very green when it came out only a couple hours later. It was so incompletely digested that when they...umm..."sampled" some as it sank to the substrate (as they do) they didn't spit it back out, as they usually do when they taste fecal material.

I didn't tell you this story to gross you out, but to explain why I switched from peas to baby spinach to clear constipation. It seems to be appreciated by more species of fish than peas and works very quickly.

Give it a try. You might want to nuke it for 7-8 seconds the first time or two, but that won't be necessary after they acquire a taste for it.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Aquagyrl
Username: aquagyrl

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:11 am:       

okay i feel so bad now the peas did not work she looks bigger and now she is upside down shoul i put her in the freezer to keep her from suffering any further
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Swollen/Bloated Goldfish?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration