Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Sheila Rose King's Question       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

sheila rose king
Username: rflowers1545

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:20 pm:       

I HAVE 1 Redcaped ORANDA he is in a 20 gal.Is 55 gal.large enough for a fullgrowen Oranda? I do water changes 2 times a week.How does one measure a oranda, from nose to tailfins, or nose to thick end of tail?Thanks Sheila
RFLOWERS/SHEILA

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 5529
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:58 pm:       

I moved this from the fish health forum as you'll get better results if you post in your own new thread :-)

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8298
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:10 pm:       

It could be done in a 55...if you are willing to do as many large water changes as it takes to keep the nitrates down.

I expect you've seen this pic before, but adults get this big:

adult oranda

...so it could hardly turn around in a 55 (only 13 inches from front to back) so a 75 - or larger - really would be much better.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 04:08 pm:       

I have more of a comment on the answer than the question.

I think pics like this are really important in helping people understand just how big fish get. For example, I knew black sharks got too big for my tank but I could never remember how big they got until I saw a pic of someone holding a 3 footer. Now when I see them at the lfs, I remember.

*me thinking out loud again*
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8316
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:57 am:       

So you're saying it's true, a picture is worth a thousand words?

I should have added that that size is not "typical". Bruce lived in a pond and is one of the largest orandas I've seen pics of, but he is atypical only by virtue of that fact that most GF are kept in inadequate quarters and die premature deaths, instead of living the 20-25+ years you should expect.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Sheila Rose King's Question       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration