Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * The goldfish my daughter won at school?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Diane
Username: snowball

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:20 am:       

I don't know if any of you remember but last spring we put it into a pond at grandma's house. They've not had any luck keeping koi over the winter and my daughter wants to winter him in a tank at home. I really don't want to get another tank for him it may sound cruel but I have to draw the line somewhere and as with most people on this board the animals in our house already greatly outnumber the human population. The only thing available to give "Speedy" is the 10g but he has to be about 6-8inches by now. What kind of luck am I gonna have with such a set up?

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:57 pm:       

Just about zilch. 10 gallons are only about 10-11 inches wide which doesn`t give much room to even turn around. Do you know anyone with a deeper pond where it could `spend the winter`?
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Diane

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 09:52 am:       

I figured it wouldn't work well. I was actually trying to convince the inlaws to open up the intake of the pump and let it do down under ground some. It always worked for my dad when he had his pond filled. I'm gonna have to come up with something. This little guy is an under dog hero and time is ticking.

M.W.
Username: fish_fan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 09:31 am:       

Okay, well you absolutley CANNOT use the 10-gallon, waaaaaaaaaay to small for a goldie... Are you sure you can't afford a 30 gallon tank? They are like $50, and you dont NEEd a filter, as goldies do ok w/out them... All you need is the tank, gravel, and plants.
I LUV Fish!

Diane

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 09:50 am:       

mw, we've got 4 tanks already and that was my problem; didn't really want to spring for the money for a fish my kid brought home from school when we thought we'd rehomed it. The pond is 4 feet at the deepest point and figured it'd be okay as friends with shallower ponds keep fish over the winter around here. I'm polling friends right now to see if they'll take it. Some seem leary because it belongs to a kid. Probably don't want to disappoint her if it dies. Luckily it looks like we'll only have to find a new home for him for this winter as his current home is going to get an overhaul this spring. We just have to get him through the next 4-5 months.
Anybody out there need to winter fish indoors and have some diy solutions? Lining giant rubber made containers, anything like that? That atleast seems reuseable.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 12:47 am:       

Plenty of people have used big rubbermade containers as tanks.I used to use one to breed feeder guppies.Ive seen them used as sumps too.you may have to support the sides as it will bow a bit when filled with water.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8420
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 01:17 am:       

Kiddie pools are designed to hold water, and cheap this time of year, if they haven't already all been cleared out. I've used a large (new) Rubbermaid trash can to soak driftwood for months, so I know they can hold it too.

(Contrary to what MW told you, you don't need gravel, but you do need a filter.)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Diane

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 07:38 am:       

Thanks for the idea Cindy. I looked around a bit and I've got a large plastic tub. By my shoddy math calculations it should hold about 50g. Wondering if I should use a pond liner though for toxins in plastic? Do have a sponge filter that I planned on using. Hob is out of the question as tub is round. Gosh it seems like rotten way to spend the winter.

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 08:18 am:       

I'd rather be in a big container than frozen in a pond.
"Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Diane

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 08:32 am:       

agreed.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8422
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 08:39 am:       

HOB will work, I use them on round containers. You can secure a straight edge of some sort across one side between two points on the edge, and hang the filter on that. If you keep it inside and feed daily, I think you'll want more mechanical filtration than a sponge filter could provide...unless you vac the bare bottom briefly each day.

You could minimize nitrogenous wastes and time caring for it this winter by keeping it in your garage instead of inside the house. If it will not freeze there, but stay below 50o, it would still go "dormant" as they do at the bottom of the pond outside, and not need feeding and only minimal water changes, if any. Someone with a pond here (I don't have one) or on a pond board could give you better info about that.

and keep us posted!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Diane

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:29 am:       

Wow great thought but I'm thinking it would freeze in my garage. It's newly sided but the walls are more like a screen door. Lovin' the hob diy! As always, thanks.

M.W.
Username: fish_fan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 08:51 am:       

Wow, larry, Great idea, I forget all about bins, Diane: The bins are like $5 for a 10 g tank size, and $20 for a HUGE one, maybe the equl=vilant of a 50 gallon! Geez, I totally forgot about bins..........
I LUV Fish!

Diane

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 08:09 am:       

Thanks for everyone's help. He made the move Saturday. He's set up beside the beer fridge in the basement, I guess atleast he won't be forgotten,lol. So far so good.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * The goldfish my daughter won at school?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration