Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Feeding       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

John Mooney
Username: bigmoon

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:23 am:       

Hi

I have 2 red comets around 3 - 3 1/2 inches long.

I am feeding them on flake, how much would you feed them? I normally feed 3-4 flakes per day but they seem to be looking for food all the time.

Am I under feeding them?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8941
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:38 pm:       

That depends a lot on how big the flakes are.

GF will "work" the substrate nearly all waking hours, so don't be fooled into thinking they are underfed. If they do not have a sunken in belly and are growing, they are getting enough. They will end up with more health problems associated with overfeeding than with underfeeding anyway.

If the begging really gets to you, instead of feeding more prepared foods, why not clip some baby spinach or romaine lettuce or field greens or float an orange wedge or slice of zucchini in the tank? Natural foods take them much longer to eat, giving them something to do in the many hours a day left over after feeding, hours that wild fish have to forage to get enough food to stay alive, that our captive pets do not.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Mike L
Username: mafrenzy

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:14 pm:       

you can also feed them some frozen blood worms as treats to mix up their diet.
"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins" Peter 4:8

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:41 am:       

I feed mine what i feel is quite a lot, (i tip and tap the flake can) it covers a reasonable surface of the water, but then again i have more than just two comets and the food is gone within 2-3 minutes.
Although for two comets i would probably feed a small pinch. Their pretty hardy/greedy fish so its not as easy to over feed them than other fish. With the frozen blood worms one cube will be more than enough for them, you might even want to break it in half, its better to under feed, you can always give more later.
Just smile and nod - Im used to it...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Feeding       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration