Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * New 5 gallon eclipse hex...what to put in it?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

joseph arthur
Username: orbityellow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:53 pm:       

Hey everyone. I just bought a new 5 gallon eclipse hex tank. I've kept fish for about 5 years now and own a 75 gallon cichlid tank. This tank, however, is intended to be a small bedroom get-away. I do not plan to heat it, but I do plan to add live plants...a subject I haven't touched yet. What kind of fish and plants do you guys recommend? Oh yea...I plan to put in a piece of driftwood also.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9395
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:17 am:       

A small hex is not really appropriate for any fish. A betta is tropical, GF need a LOT more volume, WCMM need more length to swim back and forth and belong in schools.

A couple snails, amano shrimp, and/or male guppies or Endler's might do the trick, if your room temp in your bedroom is not too cold, even at night in the winter. I would resist the temptation to add females, the tiny size just won't allow for all the fry that would result.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:18 am:       

Ok Plants: Im guessing since its a 5gal it aint to big, therefore were looking at smaller plants.
These are just suggestions and it would do you good to google them up:
Vesicularia dubyana
Anubias nana
Afzeli Anubias
Cryptocoryne undulata
..then again most things in the Crytocoryne genus should be ok, bar some of the larger species, same goes with Anubias.

These plants survival will depend on the lighting and nutreints provided to them by you.

As for fish: Ummm... Maybe some white clouds, or some sort of small barb... hopefully someone will be able to better my response to that one.

And finally.. to badmans dude, enjoy your stay!
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

joseph arthur
Username: orbityellow

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:22 am:       

Thanks so much guys....cindy, do you think a couple dwarf quaramis would be alright? Rob thank you for your list...I like the vesicularia dubyana (java moss). It looks like an easy first plant to take care of.

rob

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 05:33 am:       

Your gunna need a small heater in there if you wanted to keep gouramis, and two of them will fight like mad dogs in a 5gal.

Although... if you did get a heater in there it will widen your options in regards to choice of fish.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 01:00 pm:       

I wouldn't do the dwarf gouramis. I've had a 5 gal hex before, was my frist tank actually. I would stick with Cindy's suggestions. One or two brigs (Pomacea bridgesii) should be OK. They come in nice colors, only get the size of a golfball or so and won't eat your live plants. They also lay eggs above the water line so you don't have to worry about them taking over.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

rob

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:25 am:       

I really do believe you need to do some reading on google..and this site (this is where i caught the bug).. that way you'll become addicted a lot faster....the addiction is good.. Really good!

MTS!!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:56 pm:       

Without a heater? Nothing
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * New 5 gallon eclipse hex...what to put in it?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration