Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Cleanup Crew for coldwater tank?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Amy
Advanced Member
Username: amy

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 09:39 am:       

what are the options for a cleanup crew in a coldwater tank? it's a 15 gallon eclipse with 2 small fantail goldfish. without a heater, it seems to hold at about 68 degrees (don't know what I'll do in summer when it's warmer)...

my tropical tanks have cories, japonica shrimp, and apple snails...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9503
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:18 pm:       

Pond snails and many shrimp are fine in CW. I kept dojos with my GF, but I wouldn't add anything to a tank that small. You will have a hard time keeping the GF alone in it for more than a few months.

I wouldn't keep two in anything smaller than a 30 for the first year, and a 55 for the second.

Fantails are fancies, and will do better in the low to mid 70's than in the 60's. Commons and comets are the true CW GF.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 01:06 pm:       

what type of shrimp can stand the cold? I may eventually be able to move them into a 29.

as far as the temp, I though all coldwater fish needed to be kept uder 70 if possible?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9515
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 09:23 pm:       

68 degrees is not really "cold"...and ghost shrimp, amongst others, will do well in an unheated tank. Even your Amanos will do well at your temp: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile83.html

The more round bodied GF, like your fan-tails, do better in moderate temps, half-way between CW and tropical. They tend to get digestive problems, and eventually roll-over and premature death, in colder water. Most won't overwinter in ponds, either, and need to be brought in during the winter, unlike the commons and comets.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1046

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:30 am:       

could I safely put the 2 fantail goldfish into my 20 'long' with either my 4 yoyo loaches or my 3 emerald cories? I think I'd eventually like to add a black fantail, but hope to get another 29 instead of the 20...

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9621

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:52 am:       

I have typed the same advice here - complete with my early failures, to try to save you guys the same heartache - for so long that I hope you will permit me to link to it, instead of re-typing it again:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=9403&post=57953#POST5 7953

I kept a small BN in with mine for algae control, when the light was new enough to grow algae. Since I couldn't grow plants with them, I never replaced the bulb, and after a year or so, the 30W bulb wouldn't even grow much algae any more, wiping it down once a month took about a minute.

Amy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1050

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 03:23 pm:       

so you're saying the 2 goldies by themselves? I know the 20 would be better than the 15 for them. I've put them hood and heater in the classifieds...

I was hoping either the cories or the yoyos cuould go in with them so I didn't need to find new homes for them...

or find a place to set up the 3rd 29g I have after testing to see if it will still hold water (one seam looks like it may not be silocones right)... and get another eclipse 3 hood.

I like the eclipse hoods because they're easy with filtreation and lighting all up in top. I wish they made an eclipse 4...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Cleanup Crew for coldwater tank?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration