Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * GOOD rainbow darter link       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1728

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:30 pm:       

I`ve googled, I`ve yahooed, I`ve msned. I know there`s lots of sites on them, but most are gov`t sites about where they been spotted and not so much about their care in aquaria. Anyone have any good links to research them?
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9624

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 11:43 pm:       

Their care doesn't vary greatly from any other darter. Just add the word "profile" or "care" to "rainbow darter" if you want info specifically about that when you Search:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,G GLG:en&q=rainbow+darter+care

...including:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/1998/apr98/darter.htm

...and:

http://www.nativefish.org/articles/DarterGuidelines.php

They are an "indicator species", so just go with absolutely pristine water in a CW river tank...

That being said, I kept one alive in a regular 55, but it had a Penguin 330 on each side and really good maintenance. You even have to be careful while vacuuming to plunge the vac gently into the substrate - not to stir mulm up into the water column - every bit must be sucked straight out.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1734

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:18 pm:       

Thanks Cindy, now to find a couple.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9650

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:21 am:       

Can you set up a river tank? They thrive in mine.

I get them free in local creeks. I would send you some, if I thought they would survive the trip. They are 10 bucks apiece at Jonah's, but would arrive alive, if he ships to Canada: http://jonahsaquarium.com/fishlist03.htm

Maybe if I get those breather bags and only send the tiniest babies? I'm on Spring Break and have the time this week, but we had an atypical winter storm on the first day of spring, and my boys are out playing in the snow right now. They are very difficult to net, compared to the other critters we get and I am not wading in the creek this week.

The biggest 2 problems would be correctly ID'ing the small ones, and the extra time it seemed to take your package of tools to get here to St. Louis - since I assume the same thing would happen on the way up north...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1736

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:29 am:       

I bet shipping would be more than I care to spend. I`m going to check anyway though. Apparently they live here too but are on the endangered list so I doubt I`d stumble onto any.

Have you ever kept them? Any pics if you have?

It would be cool if I could get them to breed. I think their colours rival any of the apistos I`ve seen. (and no r/o or heater :-) )

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1738

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:19 am:       

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/19984-scolleys-75g-big-clear-kahun a-56k-warning-42.html

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9657

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:45 am:       

Wow! Really pretty like that, but I have news for him, he's not going to get rid of the algae, nor does he need to. In the natural environments around here, streams, rivers, lakes and ponds, most of the producer biomass is one form of algae or another. There are NO real effective native algae eaters either.

Right now I only have one johnny darter in my river tank. I'll get some rainbows in April or May, but I fatten them up all summer and release them each fall. I know they are getting harder to find here, although I don't know if it is even actually OK for me to take them and return them, but either way I want them to spawn out there the next spring.

I am too lazy to provide my natives with planted tanks...the plants get eaten or torn up one way or another. I do float some extras in their tanks...salvinia and trimmings from other tanks, and except for one tiger lotus that has survived for a year and a half, they all disappear eventually.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * GOOD rainbow darter link       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration