Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Pond fish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

SantaClause
Username: stephen

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:16 pm:       

My grandpa has a pond on his ranch that the cattle drink from. i was thinking 4 goldfish could be established there and do well enough to breed. the problem is that we are not always up there so we could not feed them and there is no filter/pump. The pond is about 20ftx20ft and at its maximum 4-5 ft deep. I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy 5 or 6 whiteclouds to establish a food source for the goldfish. any suggestions on what kind of fish to go in there would be appreciated.
"I say hello you say goodbye" The Beatles

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9737

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:31 pm:       

Your profile doesn't say what state you live in, so I can't say if the WCMM are a good idea or not.

Commons (feeders) and comets will do better than fancy GF in a cattle pond. All GF are omnivorous, but will need much more plant based foods than meaty foods to be healthy. I assume there are already plants, at least algae, in it. Why not just feed them when you are there and see if they don't fare just fine when you aren't? They may grow more slowly but will probably be healthier for it. If you do have plants or algae in the pond already, I'd start with more than 4...maybe a half dozen or even a dozen.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

SantaClause

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:32 pm:       

i live in texas, and the ranch is in bastrop,tx which is right next to the capitol austin. it will snow there every 2 years or so. when i said four gf i meant like 4 medium sized comets, but if feeders will survive im willing to spend $1.44 on twelve feeders. im not sure about algae but i know there are usually reeds and stuff growing in there so i assume there is algae as well. this may sound cruel, but my grandpa is a big fisherman and i was wondering if gf are "hardy" enough to have a hook pulled out of them like a perch. if i could catch some native perch in the creek on his other property i would put them in there instead of goldfish, but its hard to catch them!

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9742

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:01 am:       

You are confusing me now. Are you stocking the pond for pets or for fishing? You can buy game fish fingerlings for stocking the pond at the grain elevator or farmer's co-op in the spring and fall. 3 inch bluegill, catfish, and bass are about 3-4 for a dollar, even cheaper in larger numbers.

Here are 2 of the many fish "farms" that raise and sell game fish in Texas, the second one is one of the many that deliver:

http://www.lochowranch.com/products/fish/index.shtml

http://www.overtonfisheries.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

Delivery route: http://www.overtonfisheries.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=266

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

SantaClause

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:26 pm:       

well at first i was going to stock it for pets, but now i think i will stock it for fishing. i will have to ask my grandpa what he wants. Do you think the pond is large enough for bass to survive, or will there not be enough food?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9756

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:08 am:       

It is large enough for them to survive, but you'll have to feed them if there is nothing to eat. Once or twice a week if you just want to supplement the food that is there, every day if you want them to be big enough to fish for in a year.

I'll warn you there isn't much "sport" in catching fish that you feed daily from a 20 foot pond...

SantaClause

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:01 pm:       

ya you have a point in that last sentence, esp a fish as big as a bass. I think im going to put perch in there after all though. thnks

SantaClause

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:25 pm:       

o ya and wut did u type in for ur google search, i want to do some more research on stores.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9821

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:55 pm:       

I don't remember what I used last Monday any more, but here's what "Texas fish farms" & "Texas fish hatcheries" look like:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Texas+fish+farms%22

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Texas+fish+hatcheries%22

and happy Googling!

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Pond fish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration