Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Goldfish for my pond       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 830

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:23 am:       

I have a large pond in my yard about 75 feet long about 30feet wide and 15 feet deep at the deepest,it has faily steep sides.Its had a leak problem which is why I never stocked it,but over the years Ive added a few hundred pounds of sodium bentonite to try and plug the leaks and it seems to have helped.The lowest its been in the last few years has been about 5' deep in august but fall rains have it 8-10' deep by the time it ices then snowmelt fills it the rest of the way.
Ive been thinking of putting some goldfish(common comets) in it and was wondering if anyone thought they would be effective in eating the submerged plants and grasses I want to control.They sell grasscarp around here for that but they are
1 expensive
2 get huge
3 not as attractive as goldfish
Spring hasnt actually arrived here yet so I wont be thinking about doing this for a few weeks but was wondering what anyone thought.
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9750

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:05 pm:       

I don't have a pond, although several friends do, so feel free to disregard my uneducated personal opinions....but your pond is big enough for koi, too. Maybe some of each? The larger ponds here usually have a mix of comets, koi, grass carp, and even BG and catfish, and it seems like a good balance.

And grass carp here are $8 each for ten inch ones...way cheaper than comparably sized GF or koi.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry

Post Number: 843

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:19 am:       

Last time I checked the grass carp were $24 each and reqired permits,too I may do that after seeing how the gf do for a year or two.My concern with koi is Ive read they need filtration in summer and bubble rings in the winter and since the pond is about 100yards from the house I cant really do that.I was thinking I could quarantine some feeders in a tank or small pool outside for a few weeks then put them in,see how they do.I was mostly wondering about how they would do with the plants in the pond as thier primary diet.
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9772

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:45 am:       

I can't remember...aren't you in New York? Or another state where only the sterile, lab created triploid grass carp are legal?

Not suggesting you break the law, but crossing the border to buy a couple regular old grass carp at their grain elevator for $8 apiece wouldn't be too difficult...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry

Post Number: 848

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 07:53 am:       

Lol Cindy if I was willing to break the law over fish it would be in the direction of red belly piranha or channa bleheri for my show tanks.

Yes I am in NY
Waiting will fill

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 383

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 07:27 am:       

Dude thats not a pond... its like a freakin mangrove or something.. We had a pool that was 24 x 12 x 4 feet... 75ft long.. gee, thats literally like half of an olympic swimming pool isn't it.
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

larry

Post Number: 851

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:15 pm:       

Yea its a nice size Ive jumped in more than once with the kids and dog.We have a couple inflatable rowboats we use in it sometimes too.Unfortunately weve had record low snowfall this year so its not very full,have to see ice should melt by next week.There is a creek in my yard Id like to run into it if I had the spare cash to rent a dozer for a week Id do it.
Should make a nice home for a dozen or so goldfish.
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Goldfish for my pond       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration