Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Thinking of starting a outdoor pood       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 173

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 02:45 pm:       

I am thinking I might setup a outdoor pond and I was wondering how deep it would have to be for fish to say in there over the winter.

I live in southern ontario. I have heard 3 feet is deep enought can anyone confirm that.

Also what other fish are normaly kept in outdoor ponds besides goldfish?
I need more tanks...

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1784

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 04:33 pm:       

4 feet. The frost line is around 3 feet so you need to go a little deeper.

What other fish can stay depends on the size, how willing you are to pull them if temps get too low......Cindy will tell you more, but I`ve kept guppies and dwarf cichlids for the summer. Just make sure to get them outta there come late August.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 174

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:08 pm:       

ya I did a little reading and it looks like 3 feet is the frost line normaly so if I went atleast 4 that should be good. I was thinking of putting some guppie in there also , but I would like to have some koi or something else that can stay in there over the winter.

I totaly forgot about native fish , maybe I'll see if I can catch a trout or something and put it in there :-) THanks
I need more tanks...

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 842

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:01 am:       

Trout are really sensitive to water conditions,a bass or some kind of panfish would be more likely to do well.
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Coldwater Keepers * Thinking of starting a outdoor pood       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration