Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Puffers       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ken Stechauner
Username: Kidfactory

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:55 am:       

Can Puffers live with no salt?

Monkey4you
Ancient Member
Username: Monkey4you

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:06 pm:       

There are some Puffer fish that live in fresh water but most common puffers live in brackish water, thats 1.005 to 1.010 but they like more salt so about 1.015 is a good place to aim.

If you don't supply them with salt then they will die much younger than they would normally.

Its like living at the north pole then moving to the Sahara desert, not very nice.

Rachel Brown
Username: Rbrown

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:41 pm:       

Made lots of mistakes to start with. The very first one was not researching the fish We wanted BEFORE purchasing them. We have a 40gal tank with 3 spotted greens and a figure 8 puffer. We started with freshwater, the wrong plants, fresh and brackish fish, and a brand spanking new tank. After two months of frantically trting to become brackish smart we have a cycled tank with very happy puffers. for plants we have mainly Amazon Swords, a few Java Ferns and Red Rubins. So far..the jury is still out. We ended up adding a CO2 canister to try and help. (The puffers love to watch the CO2 bubbles go up the ladder) We added a small beach section made with coral sand and many many caves out of rocks. Our current issue is algea. We had a little spot on the front of the tank about the size of a corn nut. What kind of algea eaters might do well in this set up?}

Michelle
Ancient Plus
Username: Frisckey2

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:23 pm:       

Mollies are the only I can think of, but I don't think they'll eat the spots off the glass (mine don't). It is probably better to get one of those magnetic algea scrubbers to clean it up. Of course, mine is down at the bottom near the sand line and I always disturb the substrate and some decor getting the job done...

Mmmmm, I used to love corn nuts! LOL

Rachel Brown
Username: Rbrown

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 02:48 pm:       

Are Mollies good tank mates for Puffers? I am really trying to be careful now, the Puffers are doing really well right now - I just wish they would eat algea too. There are quite a few Ghost Shrimp (leftovers that the Puffs didn't gobble) and they do allot of cleaning, just not windows. The Brackish tank is very interesting - So far since putting in the CO2 and adding liquid plant food the plants are sending up new green leaves. (possibly the CO2 is also helping the algea...) I guess I'll be cleaning algea off the inside of the tank huh?

Jess
Ancient Member
Username: Lady_jai

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:34 am:       

never had any personal experience, but from what i've read, mollies will harry the puffers as much as they are pestered, and are OK tankmates. however, if you get mollies - NO sailfins and NO lyretails and NO guppytails. just the regular old mollies(i don't know if color matters). puffers nip fins, thats why you are advised to keep them alone. so it is likely you will have nips in your molly's fins, and avoiding the longer fins is best.
if you feed the mollies well, they will not eat much algea. and you will want to fed them, cause they are beggars extraordinaire. like michelle said, they don't do glass.

if you didn't have puffers, there are a few kinds of brackish snails, however, you'd have better luck keeping a guppy in there than a snail (i.e. no go )

java ferns are salt loving plants(are they attached to driftwood or rocks?). and from what i read, the jungle vals are good as well. i will be experiementing with them in a few weeks in my cichlid tank and the brackish tank at dads.

and yes, the CO2 is helping the algea. good growing conditions for plants = good growing conditions for algea. :-)

GPT
Username: teitoku

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:23 am:       

I've read ottos do well at cleaning the algae from puffer tanks.

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 5363
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:07 pm:       

wow... September 2003. Didn't know there were any messages left that old.

otos do NOT belong in brackish water tanks, ever.

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

Jessica Kern
Username: sassiepuffer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:30 am:       

I've already tried Mollies, Guppies, and other Green Spotted Puffers with my Gemstone but nothing survives.

Right now I only have my Green Spotted Puffer and some tiny hermit crabs in a 35 gallon brackish tank.

I have given up on trying to find a tank mate for Gemstone.

Some puffers are known to be killers. Gemstone actually tore into the other puffers fins till they had none and they ended up dying from not being able to swim.

Some puffers are terroritoral and very aggressive.

If you want more information on puffers check out
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/

They have discussions about all types of puffers.

I learned quite a bit about my Green Spotted Puffer real quick. It was like taking a crash course
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Puffers       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration