Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * 110G Brackish Tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Mike
Username: Azaer

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 08:06 pm:       

Well here we go. I am in the 5th day of my fishless cycle for the 110Gallon. I am doing the cycle with Ammonia. Keeping it steady at 0.50 until I get nitrites. It will probably take awhile, I am guessing around 10 to 14 days for the nitrites then I will lower the ammonia till it reads zero then add my fish!

Its being run on a Aquaclear 500 and an Eheim 2217 Canister.

I have Caribsea Bahama Reef Sand mixed with Crushed Coral. PH is a little over 8.0 (around 8.5 I would guess).

The Salinity will start at 0, which is what the LFS where I am getting the fish starts at. I will slowly work it up to 1.005 until they get a little bigger.

My fish will be 2 Green Spotted Puffers, 2 Ceylon Puffers and 1 Dragon Goby. I know there may be a problem with the Dragon Goby, but I have spoken with a few people that have kept them with Puffers and everything was fine. They won't be competing for food at all so I am hoping everything will be ok. All of the fish will be aclimated to full marine when they are fully grown (around 6"), but thats years away. I am getting them as juviniles. From 1 to 2 inches I will keep the salinity at 1.005 to 1.008. When they get between 2 to 4 inches I will raise it to 1.010 to 1.015. Greater than 4 and I will have it at 1.018 to 1.022 but thats awhile away.

Anyway here is a picture of what the tank looks like currently. (5th day of fishless cycle).

110g Brackish

David
Username: Bigwave

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:00 pm:       

Mike,

How did this take turn out? I have a friend with a 90 gal tank I can have, and I am thinking about going Brackish in it. I would probably use F8s, instead of what you have, but otherwise it would be similar.

Has your filtration been adequate? How are the fish doing?

Thanks!

debbs
Username: Debbs

Post Number: 938
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 08:32 am:       

Hi David. I'm not Mike, but I am his wife and I've taken over the care of his tank as he works a lot of overtime and we just bought a house etc. Anyway, I'm sure I can answer your questions :-)

Mike and I would never advise anyone to buy a 110 gallon tank, as we found out the maintenence with a height of 30" was just too much to handle. A 90 gallon is perfect IMO to start a Brackish in!

As to filtration, we used (and still using in our 55) an Aquaclear 500 which the Puffers seemed to enjoy. The outflow has a nice strong current they like to float around in. It cleans the water beautifully.

IMO it would be a great filter for your 90 gallon. I don't know how many fish your planning on, so if more then 2 F8's, then I would advise a canister filter to be added. Puffers are very messy eaters, they produce a lot of waste, and you need to have something that keeps the water clean, not more currents.

How are the fish doing? Well it didn't work at all with the Dragon Goby, our Puffers on the first night almost tore him apart. Thank goodness we could rescue him in time. We weren't able to get Ceylons in our area, so we only had the 2 GSP's. Because we weren't happy with the 110, we switched to a 55 gallon.

Currently we have the 2 GSP's (grown to almost 4" now) and 4 Mollys. The Mollys are just too quick for the GSP's to get to, they are used as dither fish because we noticed without them the Puffers were always in hiding, not secure with their envirement. Now they are out and about all the time. We are keeping the salinity approx. 1.010 and will soon be slowly raising it to 1.015.

Here's a picture of the current tank. It's not fixed up as we were working on my 75gal, but now we'll work on the 55, hoping to make it alot nicer for the Puffers. :-) It's a trial and error with Puffers as their personalities are different and you just never know if you need dither fish or not. IMO with F8's you can try other brackish fish since that species of puffer is not as aggressive as the GSP's. Hey, keep us updated if you do start up the Brackish tank! We love hearing how other people cope. Good luck!!

Brett Baur
Username: Bbknife

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 05:40 pm:       

wow maybe you could try bumble gobies or maybe a bigger dragon goby I didnt have a problem with this but fish can be different to

debbs
Username: Debbs

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 12:07 am:       

Hi Brett :-)

The problem with Bumble Gobies is that they stay light brackish. My puffers will be acclimated to full marine when they reach 4+".

The Dragon Goby I had acquired was 7" and the GSP's were almost 2". Still they attacked him!

Are you saying you had a dragon goby living with GSP's?
<b>75, 55, 4-10's, & 6 Gallon Tanks
11 Gallon SW soon to be started! </b>

Brett Baur
Username: Bbknife

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 05:02 pm:       

wow no I dint try this Ive seen it happen but I meant ive kept bumblebees and violet gobies together sorry bout that but I didnt see a problem with the violets and puffers since both have teeth and are territorial but the violet is a great fish and dont attack smaller fish I kept a 10 inch one with neons sorry I used violet this time instead of dragon both are the same just incase you dditn know but I bet you did know that just making sure
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * 110G Brackish Tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration