Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Amount of Salt       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

colleen
Username: Swirl360

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:53 pm:       

Im setting up a 10gal brackish tank, and I would like to know approximately how much salt I will need. Should I buy the 5gal bag, or go with something larger? I know its not going to be exactly the same for every tank, but Im trying to get a rough idea on how much ill need.

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 5465
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:29 pm:       

5 gallon bag? Typo, right? Did you mean 5 pound bag?

I have a 20 gallon high brackish tank and use about 2 TBS per gallon, or 40 TBS per tank, most of the time. I go a little higher and as much as 50% lower...Jessica suggested varying the salinity over time, as most brackish systems do in nature, and the fish have done very well.

I bought a 15 pound bag when I set it up last summer (July, I think?) and am just now almost ready to buy another bag. A bag should last you twice as long, so maybe a 5 pound bag would do.

Synergy: "the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects" (New Oxford Dictionary of English)

colleen
Username: Swirl360

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:39 pm:       

No, I meant 5 gallon. It says that it makes 5 gallons of saltwater, so the bag isnt 5 gallons, but its enough for 5 gallons. Sorry for the mixup. What is the average salinity of your tank?

cindy

Post Number: 5467
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 12:04 am:       

The swing arm hydrometer I bought in July doesn't work, it never goes above 1.008 no matter how much salt I add, so I don't know. I need to buy a better version, but the mollies are pretty adaptable, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I just measure the TBS.

Hmm, my 15 pound bag says it makes 55 gallons of SW, so it should only make about 220 gallons of brackish at my mixture. I change about 10 gallons a week...no wonder I am almost out!

(Message edited by cindy on March 16, 2005)

Synergy: "the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects" (New Oxford Dictionary of English)

Cory
Username: Cory

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 01:03 pm:       

As far as specific gravity, what is considered brackish?

cindy

Post Number: 5512
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 04:26 pm:       

It would average 1.010-1.012, but technically anything between 1.00 and 1.02 could probably be considered brackish.

(Message edited by cindy on March 16, 2005)

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people. ---Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Karen Curry
Username: The_fish_fan

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 01:03 am:       

I have been using 1-2 tsp per gall for the 10, but it is now FW. I'm now using about 4tbs for the molly tank. What type of fish is this for?

~Karen~

cindy

Post Number: 6315
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 07:01 am:       

colleen has knight gobies, I believe.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Amount of Salt       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration