Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Algae removal in brackish tanks       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

John Heckert
Username: Jheckert

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:55 pm:       

What type of algea eating fish can I use for a brackish tank. Specific gravity of 1.12.
A little Fish Crazy!!!!!
Got 2-10 g, 1-20g, 1-50g, and 1-75g in a 4 month period. I couldn't quit buying tanks once my friend gave me the first 10 for free. Still lookin to get a large tank once I get off the second floor apt.

dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:18 pm:       

here are some algae grazers that come to mind for a brackish tank:

Florida Flag Fish - Jordanella floridae
Olive Nerite Snail - Neritina reclivata
live bearer (don't know any common name for this fish Giardinus Metallicus
Amano shrimp - Caridina japonica a.k.a Yamato Numa Ebi, Japanese Marsh Shrimp, Yamato shrimp

(Message edited by dan on January 14, 2005)
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

John Heckert

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:40 pm:       

I appreciate the advice. The LFS's in this area don't even keep their brackish fish in brackish water and they don't know much difference for algea eating.

I will need a fish compatible with my GSP's. They will eat shrimp but leave other fish alone. I have a bunch of feeder guppies in there but they are multiplying instead of being eaten. Go figure.

Sorry I posted in the wrong section. I havent been here in a while and forgot you have a brackish section.
A little Fish Crazy!!!!!
Got 2-10 g, 1-20g, 1-50g, and 1-75g in a 4 month period. I couldn't quit buying tanks once my friend gave me the first 10 for free. Still lookin to get a large tank once I get off the second floor apt.

colleen
Username: Swirl360

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:19 pm:       

Where can I find a trio of Giardinus Metallicus? Are these pretty rare fish? What region of the tank do they inhabit?

dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 02:52 am:       

i expect they're pretty rare in the hobby but your LFS *may* be able to order them?

http://groups.msn.com/Breedingtropicalfish/girardinusmetallicus.msnw\newurl

http://members.lycos.co.uk/aquaworld/Livebearers/Girardinus_metallicus.htm

(Message edited by dan on January 15, 2005)
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

debbs
Username: Debbs

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 01:50 pm:       

I didn't know Florida Flag fish were brackish? What's the highest salinity they can live in? I also have algae that my Mollys aren't eating.

John, my GSP's are currently living with Mollys. They have eaten a few fry but they only go for them while they are sleeping (nights). How large are your GSP's? Just curious :-)

John Heckert

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:03 am:       

My GSP's are about 2". I have 4 of thenm in a 50 gallon tank.

The only problem with getting brackish algea eating fish is that after a while my tank will have to go salt once the GSP's reach closer to full size.

Thats why I have guppies with them. They can go from fresh to brackish to salt. As long as they go through a slow transition like I am doing with the GSP's

I will do some research on the fish listed above and decide what to do. My algea is getting pretty bad. The only tank I have with algea in it.

I'm not sure where I can get those around here either. May have to have them shipped???

Thanks for the advise, I'll do more research and decide what to do. May have to keep cleaning it out every week. (or more at the rate it is growing now)
A little Fish Crazy!!!!!
Got 2-10 g, 1-20g, 1-30g, 1-50g, and 1-75g. Looking for a 175 gal when funds and a sturdy floor permits.

debbs
Username: Debbs

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 08:23 am:       

John, while you're doing research, check this site out on GSP's if you haven't already
http://puffer.proboards2.com/index.cgi

I bought the Mollys for my Puffer tank for a couple of reasons, mainly because my puffers needed dither fish to come out of their hidey spots. But Mollys are also known for their liking of algae and I've lots of algae in the Puffer tank! Mollys can acclimate to full marine also :-)

I also am going to do full research on the Florida Flag fish since they are available to me.
If you've a local LFS momma/pappa store, ask them if they can order you the fish you want if they are not seen in the store. Most will gladly do so. That's much cheaper then having them shipped. HTH

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:08 am:       

I thought the Flag Fish was a F/W fish, too. Looks like they tolerate a very wide range of conditions, so maybe they thrice in both F/W and brackish . . .

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile82.html
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:17 am:       

Here's another, more lengthy, article about the Flag Fish, sometimes called the American-Flag Fish:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Huntley_The%20American%20Flag%20Fis h.html
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9649

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:13 am:       

Like most brackish fish, they can survive in FW (and other suboptimal conditions), but typically only thrive (and live their full expected lifespan) in brackish.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Algae removal in brackish tanks       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration