Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * 55 GALLON ARCHER FISH       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

MIKE
Username: Krockett

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 06:24 pm:       

Ive been thinking about how I can extend the hieght of my 55 gallon to have a maze of branches above the water to keep crickets & other crawlers on as a food source for (Im thinking 3or4)Archer fish. Has any one ever done this? Does a 55 have enough surface area for archer fish? I have 27 tanks (25 setup) but there all fresh water. I want to try something new and I really like the Archer fish. What kind of other brackish water fish would be good with the Archers?

Brett Baur
Username: Bbknife

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:10 pm:       

here for one thing the archers are going to get way to big in my opinion they get a foot long and love to jump I think maybe one could get in there. do you just wanna see them spit cuz I know another way to do that. as for occupants with him would be monos gobies-dragon and knight and mabe big bumblebees. I got killies to live with them.

MIKE

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:28 pm:       

Well I'm starting my tank. I'm going to try plywood on the sides and back, painted with a marine grade paint and plexyglass on the front. Its going to be 1/2 foot tall with corkbark glued to the inside of the plywood. I'm going to use a canister filter, that way I can notch the plywood for the intake and return tubes. I found a nice piece of scruboak root thats pretty twisted with lots of fingers coming off it, Now all I have to do is figuer out how to dry it out and cut it to size. I want to plant the 55 to, I'm thinking lace javafern on a couple peices of driftwood seeing that my light is going to be so high off the tank, maybe some anibas to.

Brett Baur

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:41 pm:       

sounds good but are you gonan put all four archers in?

MIKE

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 08:55 pm:       

12", I thought they only got to be obout 6", there only 6" to big now that I have my plan of attack I have to go find A 200 gallon tank to apply it. What a shame.(hehehe) My wife will love this. Now Ill use the 55 gallon as a grow out and then switch over to A larger tank. trying my plan on a cheap tank first to see how it works. As for seeing them spit thats pretty cool, but the plan is to make realistic habitat for them. The spitting is the bonus!!!!!

MIKE

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:23 pm:       

I just jumped to a couple sites and they said ARCHERS only get 6" How big do they really get?
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/brackish_water/archer_fish.htm#top2

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_archer.php

David
Username: Bigwave

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 08:49 pm:       

I recall reading that not all archers are the same. Some get 12" and some get to 6". How to tell which are at the LFS, I have no idea, but someone somewhere probably knows.

The LFS here has some real dark archers, that are about 1.5" long at the moment. They are a solid dark gray, with darker black spots.

Anyone know anything about that type?}

Brett Baur

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 05:37 pm:       

hmm I always thought they were just ugly could it be something to do about their sixe or maybe gender? I might be mistaken but I thought they get 12 inches mine is 7 in a 375

Sam Lee
Username: Shmeal

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:12 pm:       

I just got one today for my 125gallon! How do you make them spit?!?

David
Username: Bigwave

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 09:08 pm:       

You have to first give them something to spit at. I have read the following for getting them to spit for you:

1) Stick food to the glass at the water line, get the fish used to this.

2) Stick it a little above the water line, and they will jump for it. Again continue along this line for a while so they are used to it.

3) Start putting the food high enough they have to spit to knock it down. Then you are done.

On the other hand, others have said theirs did not need trained, so you will just have to see. I think the best thing you could do is give them some branches above the tank, then put some bugs in there and let them spit them off.

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 5776
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 10:31 pm:       

Mike the link you posted said that different species get to different sizes. It had a link to this page on FishBase:

http://www.fishbase.org/NomenClature/ValidNameList_v2.cfm?criteria=SYNONYMS%2ESy nGenus%20%3D%20%27toxotes%27%20%20AND%20SYNONYMS%2ESynSpecies%20LIKE%20%27%25%25 %27%20&vtitle=Scientific%20Names%20where%20Genus%20equals%20%3Ci%3EToxotes%3C%2F i%3E

According to the link you posted, the most common species sold is Toxotes jaculator/jaculatrix, the third one in that list, and 30 cm as an adult:

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?id=8229

3 larger species (30-40 cm.) and 3 smaller (15 cm.)...just get what you want.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Sam Lee
Username: Shmeal

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 01:41 am:       

Do you know if they eat bloodworms/brineshrimp as well or do i need to get some other food for it?

MIKE

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 10:05 pm:       

Thanks cindy I'll check them out.

Brett Baur

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:47 pm:       

they will eat bloodworms and brine shrimp mine loves it Ive trained them to spit but I used my underground filter to do it he also got mad once and just spat or maybe he saw something I donno he seemed mad
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * 55 GALLON ARCHER FISH       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration