Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Stocking a 55g BW tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Karen Curry
Username: The_fish_fan

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 06:13 pm:       

I didn't think to post this in the Brackish section, so it was origenally in the general message area. (I copied and pasted it)

How does this sound?

3 sailfin mollies
3 dwarf gouramies (not sure which type yet)
2 blood parrot cichlids
1 female betta splendids
5 Bumble Bee Gobys

Would I be way too overstocked?

The sailfins may not be in there very long if I can get a 20g, but I would rather them be if possible though. And I can put the female betta in another tank if neccessary.

~Karen~

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6367
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 08:57 pm:       

It still sounds like you need one tank for the brackish fish and one for the FW tropicals.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Karen Curry

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 09:32 pm:       

I definatley agree, but I don't think my parents do. Which ones aren't BW? And what exactly defines "tropical"? I thought it was just they lived in the tropics, liked warm water and BW.

~Karen~

Laura
Username: Roseh

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:05 pm:       

The gouramis, betta, and parrot cichlids aren't brackish. Tropical, in the sense we're using here, as sometimes marine fish are considered tropical, are basically freshwater fish that like warmer temperatures. Brackish water fish live in waters that's a mix of fresh water and salt water. Choose either the brackish water fish on your list, or your fresh water. Your parents will agree you'd need two tanks for those fish when some of the fish start suffering and some dyeing because they're in an innappropriate environment.

Karen Curry

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:39 am:       

I really didn't know any of them weren't BW. my LFS keeps the cichlids in BW, and told me with the gouramis I could have FW or BW. I need to stop listening to the LFS, they're making it very difficult to decide on a stocking list. Thank you for your help, I understand now, I just honestly thought they were all BW.

~Karen~

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6370
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 04:52 pm:       

Here's one of many lists on the net, if you do the search:

http://wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/bracfishes.htm

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jessica
Ancient Member
Username: Jessica

Post Number: 4408
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 07:33 pm:       

brackish water limits what fish you can have immensely. if you choose bumblebees, that reduces the available list of compatible fish by 3/4s beyond that.

Karen Curry

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 07:27 pm:       

I might make it FW then, and just give away my sailfins, but as far as the sizes and population levels, would the list be OK? I'm just trying to get an idea of how many of what size fish I need. If I go with FW, the cichlids and probably the gouramies would stay, so I just need to figure out where to go from there.

~Karen~

Jessica
Ancient Member
Username: Jessica

Post Number: 4451
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:23 am:       

bumbles can not do freshwater.

you know blood parrots are hybrids?

since they get to 10 inches and are special needs fish, I wouldn't plan on too many more fish than them.

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

Karen Curry

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:57 am:       

10 in? Do all of the types get that big? I was thinking the things that I read on them said 5-6 in. I find out that they were "man-made", which slightly made me not want to breed them, but I decided to anyways (until I found out their size). Thanks for your reply.

~Karen~

Brett Baur
Username: bbknife

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 07:21 pm:       

bumblebees have been known to live very well in freshwater basically any brackish can live in freshwater but no as long

Karen Curry
Username: the_fish_fan

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:06 pm:       

I've heard that they do survive in FW before, but if they don't live as long isn't that some indication that they aren't going to be happy and healthy? It seems we too often judge what a fish can do and can be kept in by their survival, instead of their preferences and needs. People say bettas are "happy" living cups where they can't move, when they can't possibly know that unless they have asked the betta. It's true taht a betta lives in shallow water in the wild, but we have taken it to the extreem. We assume that becuase they live in cups (and that's only becuase they can breath strait from the suface of the water), they enjoy living in cups. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't have shared that BB's can live in FW, or meaning to get off topic, but I am so annoyed with all the people (not saying you) who say what a fish's opinion is without being able to talk to the fish, and saying fish are fine in one condition, when actually they are probably suffering. OK, I'm done blabbering now, and I opplogize for having to vent my betta related frustration here.

~Karen~

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 4738
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:39 am:       

there are at least 3 species of bumblebee available. one is found in the fresher-water side of brackish, and the other 2 brackish. It depends on if you are lucky or really know your species. Rule of thumb, do not place bumbles in freshwater. No reason to shorten their lifespan, or to take chances.

there's actually more to the betta thing Karen, which i'll have to talk about elsewhere :-) in short, their wild homes are even larger than you realize. (more points to your rant, lol)

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

Karen Curry

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:17 pm:       

I would really like to discuss the natural homes of bettas with you Jessica. Maybe a chat on it sometime? I know they live in the rice pattys (I think that's what it said) during spawning time, or at least that's what I've read, but I don't know where they live the rest of the time. I really do want to learn about them, and then I would sound like I know what I'm talking about when I tell people bettas are probably not as happy in the flower vase as thy would like to think. I've read a lot on bettas, but I've never found a good website about their natural habitat (just that they live in rice patties sometimes). I would really appreciate it if you could (sometime when you're bored) link to a place that tells me about a betta's natural habitat, or post a topic on it, or email me a little bit of info. I'm very interested on learning about many fish such as where the fish would be found in the wild, what they eat in the wild, and such. I need to learn about bettas so that I can share the info with others who want a betra.

At my riding stable I was talking to a girl who used to work at petsmart, and thought that becuase of that she knew everything about fish. She actually told me that bettas live in "puddles" the same size as those cups in the wild, and that she had several of them in small containers at home, and that furthermore they were very happpy and secure, and that bettas don't like anything bigger than 1/2 a gallon. Those weren't her exact words, but that's basicly what I can remember of it. I just wish people would think about what they are saying before they say it. Another girl there said she had a 1 gallon tank for her betta and the petsmart lady thought that that was way too big for a betta! She could at least have let someone else's betta be happy in a slightly larger tank! OK, I'm getting worked up now, I'm sorry again. I think I need to quit sabiitageing my own topic and open another where I can vent bmy frustration!!! (Aren't you looking foward to it??? )

~Karen~

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:35 pm:       

http://www.bettadreams.com/ricepaddies.html

That's not how you spell CHEESE!

Karen Curry

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:00 pm:       

Thanks Laura, that website helped a lot. I also went to the main sight and read up on some betta history. I would still like to know a bit more about them, but that answer a lot of things. Thanks again.

~Karen~

Brett Baur
Username: bbknife

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 06:14 pm:       

hmm what I was saying it has only been tryed and it has been successful I certainly havent tryed and I wont Im just trying to say it has been done.... sorry if I made you mad about somehow betta's feelings....

Karen Curry

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 05:07 pm:       

no, you just got me started on fish's feelings and then it evolved into betta's feelings. I was using betta's feelings as an example of BB feelings (I think). Maybe all I was doing was venting my frustraion... even though I really got more worked up then down. I think I'm just crazy, and I'm going to leave this subject before I get worked up agian.
"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees." - Dr Seuss
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Stocking a 55g BW tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration