Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Algae problem in a brackish tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:00 am:       

I was reading the algae question in the Aquatic Section, and not wanting to steal the post with my question decided to ask here instead. :-)

It was mentioned there is a product on the market that 'kills' Algae...I never look in the chemical department of the stores, as I never buy chemicals accept on-line for Dechlor, calcium or iodine, so I've no knowledge of this product.

I've a Brackish tank with my Puffers. Salinity is 1.016. I can't grow plants nor can I use snails or shrimp to battle the algae. It is a brown slimey algae and hard green algae I have. Most days I don't even put the lights on the tank because of algae problems.

So.....how good is this chemical? Is it okay to use in a brackish tank?
BW 55, FW 75, 3-10's, 6 & 5
Amazingly, it's not just fish!

Brad Charby
Username: brad

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:53 am:       

I have the same problem in my brackish. Mine gets alot of natural light(my store is all windows)I`ve tried `Algae Destroyer` with absolutely no success. I just take a rag and clean it off. I`ve never had any success with any chemicals. Ph buffers etc....

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 6549
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:03 pm:       

My brackish tank never gets algae. I worried , because I couldn't find any algae eaters for it. I add about 2 tablespoons of salt per gallon, maybe enough to kill FW algae and diatoms, and not enough to support marine?

How much salt do you add to your brackish tank?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Brad Charby

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:06 pm:       

I keep mine at around 0.008 - 0.01.

debbs
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:57 pm:       

As you can see with my salinity, I add a lot of salt! I don't go by the tbsp, more like cups. My hubby calculates how much I need to keep my salinity level to where I want it, so I really can't answer that question.

I'm not marine yet, but close enough to make it harder for me to keep live plants to help with the algae. I don't mind cleaning the brown slime, that's easy, but the green algae is much harder for me to clean!

So, there's no chemicals that will help out then?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6552
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 09:52 pm:       

No, I'm sorry, I didn't read very well or I would have seen that. I foolishly assumed you were talking about really low salinity, something like 1 TBS/5 gallons, like an awful lot of people that stop by, which you already know is not really enough to call it brackish.

Yours is darn near SW. Mine works out to almost the same as Brad's. I shoot for .010, but usually chicken out and quit before I get there. Now that I know your brackish fish are fine at double mine, I'll feel free to add more salt next time!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:16 am:       

this poor forum's sooo tiny .

I'd also advise against chemicals. nerites are helpful, but puffers would really love them

and yeah, i think I know the green algae you're talking about. i turned the lights OFF on my brackish tank. a week later, it was bright vivid green! yeah, there's some ambient light, but come on!

ideas for combating it. well, the lights out for one. but also take all the decor out and bleach it. that'll give you a slight edge on the algae. You can do that before any major visitor arrives, . thought, if you just get the algae down and kill the lights that may help.

on the other hand, even though you don't like the looks, it should help with nitrates . maybe you can get some hairy algae to grow, cultivate an algae garden

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

debbs
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 08:04 am:       

There was a few months we went without lighting the tank and still this tank got a lot of the brown and green algae! It's across the room (about 18') from the window but it does get the glare of the sun.

Cindy, what about Florida Flag fish? Will they be fine in my salinity? And could they acclimate to full marine in the future with the other fish? I know it's an iffy thing with the Puffers, but these puffers have been with Mollys and they were fine with them. What do you think?

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 4662
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 08:10 am:       

what's wrong with using mollies? they failing? livebearers can really be puffersmart, especially when added when they are young (not fry). one nip, and they learn what to avoid. dad had a molly that'd beat up his puffer

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

debbs
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 08:49 am:       

I had 4 beautiful Mollys Jess for a few months. At first they worked out fine, but soon they made themselves so much at home that they competed for food, then they started taking the food directly out of the Puffers mouth! Soon the Puffers began hiding, not coming out, even at meal time. It was too much, so I had to bring them back to the LFS :-( They didn't eat the algae either!

I've never had f.flag fish and I know they are great algae eaters, so that's why I'm questioning now.

ps. when I mentioned the puffers were fine with mollys I meant they didn't kill them nor attack them

Brad Charby

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 09:05 am:       

Oh yeah, one more thing just in case you were still thinking about using chemicals, apparently puffers deal really poorly with chemicals. Something to do with being scaleless fish.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6668
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 04:16 pm:       

debbs, I'm sorry I'm so slow to answer. I have not had the good luck to get any flag fish yet. I am still looking for them. I have seen them here twice, and both times they had males only and they looked very unhealthy. I will wait until I can get some healthy ones.

Shari may know. I am pretty sure the last time I Googled they could be kept in both FW and brackish...but if they are really native to Florida, I am suspecting they are well adapted to brackish...not much pure FW in the state!

A new teacher in my building swears that the two mollies in his FW ten gallon eat every bit of algae that grows in it and keep it absolutely algae free. I personally have never found them to be very efficient at cleaning decorations or glass, although they appear to pick at everything all day long. They sure are aggressive feeders of processed foods, though, and I would hesitate to keep them with shy feeders. I had to use a turkey baster to make sure my boys violet goby got food, when they had one with the mollies.

debbs
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 09:23 am:       

Cindy, My LFS informed me that F.Flagfish will be in season starting in May, so I can get some for you but need to know beforehand what you're wanting (m/f ratio) and how many. :-)

I guess I'll have to skip them for my own tank. My salanity just may be too high for them and I don't want to kill fish unnecessarily. It's a shame this tank gets so much algae, otherwise it'd be a decent looking tank! oh well.........

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6683
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 09:59 am:       

I was thinking that yours is much closer to SW than FW. At the mid range, mine seems to be inhospitable for either FW algae or SW algae...maybe you are getting SW algae? And maybe, if you really don't want to reduce the salinity to more of a mid range, you could try one of the more hardy SW algae eating crew in your tank?

debbs
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:46 am:       

I would love to lower it Cindy but can't, only because my puffers are suppose to slowly acclimate to full SW as they age. They are now 4" and once they reach 5" I have to raise the salinity again!

I also thought of SW algae eating critters but the problem with that is the Puffers will kill/eat them as they are Invertebrates. That's why the subject of chemicals caught my interest. I guess I'll just have to deal with the algae!

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 6686
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:08 pm:       

Sorry to take this into the SW realm, even though it's not OT...but are your puffers diurnal? Do they appear to shut down or sleep at night, or cruise around all night like corys and other catfish and plecos? I don't know much about SW algae eaters, but aren't there any that hide in crevices in te rocks or in caves during the day and eat algae during the night?

Maybe a post in the SW forum would help you find some that would take care of your problems naturally, without chemicals...

Brad Charby

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:25 pm:       

My puffers sleep at night. One prefers a cave, the other likes to curl up on the gravel under a plant. They take a while to wake up too. Kinda like me in the morning. Loopy, cranky, and hungry.

debbs
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 09:28 am:       

GSP's sleep at night. I'll go to the SW Forum and see if they know of any algae eaters that can live in this salinity and puffers. Thanks for the suggestion!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Algae problem in a brackish tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration