Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Columbian sharks       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

lynz
Username: boo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:38 am:       

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me!i researched alot on columbian sharks before i first purchased one. i have a 100gal (at the mo) f/w tank. I have bought about 6 of these fish altogether, (not at the same time) but they keep dying. I do frequent 20% water changes pw, and water tests (everything right for them)but not one has lasted more than a week! I know they're ment to be brackish but when i buy them they're f/w so i was 'hoping' to gradually increase the salinity of the tank to get them converted to brackish, only they never last that long. i recently got a gsp but that also died within the week (3 altogether). I don't know what i'm doing wrong, i'm feeding the right foods, the temp + ph are fine for them etc. I was hoping to start with 2 Columbian sharks and a gsp, once the sals right then add a few archers but so far nothing's gone to plan.
Please help!

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 01:21 pm:       

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? By the way, welcome to Badmans.

lynz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:08 pm:       

Hi, thanks for the welcome ;)
they are all 0 but sometimes the nitrite can get high.
They also swam upside down at the surface or did 'loop the loop' round the tank (also upside down. they wern't gasping for breath or anything and they looked like they were having fun, however I tried looking it up on wetwebmedia.com and they said it might have been internal parasites, but didn't say anything more.

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 03:30 pm:       

You shouldn`t be getting nitrite readings. If anything builds up in your tank, it should be nitrates. Well, it shouldn`t get high but you know what I mean. I know puffers have a really low tolerance for any contaminants in the water. How gradually are you trying to increase the salinity? Are the fish eating? How long have the fish been at the lfs before you buy them? They may be sick and weak from the transport and dying in your tank, regardless of what you do. Really, I think it has more to do with the nitrites and the cycling of your tank than anything else though.

lynz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:14 am:       

it might be the nitrates then, i'll check later. The lfs near me are really helpful, however she does get the gsp imported from america. I'm not sure how long they had been there, the first 2 had arrived earlier that day (Iknow i shouldn't have bought them, but i thought they were really cool i'm adding 1 tablespoon of marine salt per gal when i do the water change (about 20 gals).
Thanx for your info.
Ooo one more thing- Are they normally meant to act like that?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Columbian sharks       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration