Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Need more info on brackish tanks       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Rachel
Username: luvmykids

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:18 pm:       

I read the info on brackish tanks on this website. Pretty good info, but I need more. I'm going to be converting my 20 gallon into a brackish tank.

I need a website on how much salt to put in, type of substrate etc. Thanks.

Rachel

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:33 pm:       

never mind; I found another link.

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 09:09 am:       

What are you going to be keeping Rachel? Salanity levels really depend on the fish.

Rachel

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:       

Just mollies (pot bellied probably--I have one already) and guppies. 20 gallon tank.

This all started because someone at the fish store said mollies would be ok with angels. Then I found badman's and discovered mollies should be brackish. Now the angel will be moving into a 55 with my platy and oto and the molly will get to stay in the 20 and I will convert it to brackish.

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 01:50 pm:       

Cool beans! So have you figured out what salanity level they should be kept at?

Rachel

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 04:52 pm:       

Sorry Brad, I just noticed you responded.

I haven't finished researching it all, but I believe mollies have a salinity of about 1.002 (or is it 1.02). I will be sure before I actually convert it and I will make it a slow conversion.

I'm thinking that once I get the tank set up substrate and decoration wise (I may change it a little from how it is now), then I will add the fish in the freshwater, slowly enough to keep the bioload ok and then I will slowly increase the salinity.

I'm still willing to have other websites with good info. I found one but I do like comparing.

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:32 pm:       

you don't need a ton of salt, up to 1.005 is fine. depending on how hard your water is, that could be as little as 2 tablespoons per gallon.

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

Rachel

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:21 am:       

Thanks Jessica.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7098
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 08:00 am:       

I have mollies and a violet goby and vary my salinity between 1.004 and 1.008. They seem more lively at the higher end. When I set the tank up I had intended to keep it at about 1.012, pretty much halfway between FW and SW, but have never made it that high yet. Now that I am home for the summer and can watch them a little closer for stress, I intend to try that level, but n ot until I get back from vacation (in mid-June.) It'll be 1.008 while I am gone.

To get back to your original Q's, I have regular aquarium gravel in that tank, and the only plants are Java moss and Najas grass, which pretty much don't care about having substrate at all.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Need more info on brackish tanks       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration