Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Brackish substrate       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Rachel
Username: luvmykids

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 04:48 pm:       

I'm going to be converting my 20 gallon to brackish. I believe I read that sand is good for a brackish tank, but it's also a little harder to clean. Where do I start on this?

I've decided the brackish tank will not have live plants. One tank to try plants with is enough. I was thinking maybe an inch of play sand from the hardware store. How about putting some gravel with it? Does this sound ok?

The tank will have mollies and guppies.

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 4966
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:35 pm:       

you do not need sand at all. it is up to you. you can have gravel if you'd prefer.

I'd do a search for cleaning sand, syphoning sand, etc using the search function above. It comes up alot.

I would not mix sand and gravel. you can, but it ends up sifting out and you have gravel on top.

the fish you have will not care what substrate you choose. So pick one you like best.

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:42 pm:       

There are some brackish fish that like to burrow in the sand. Crushed coral would be another good option as it will buffer the water. Go with what you like to look at, your fish will adjust.

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:45 pm:       

Sorry, just remembered you're keeping mollies and guppies. No burrowing in the sand going on there!

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:50 pm:       

JP has been kind enough to start compiling:

Sand substrate

(Message edited by jessica on May 26, 2005)

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

Rachel
Username: luvmykids

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:19 am:       

Thanks. I read the sand substrate list. I'm thinking I may go with it because I do like the looks of it and since I won't have live plants, I can keep it light.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Brackish substrate       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration